Managing issue visibility in JSD

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2019

I've been asked to look at setting up a Service Desk project that is intended to allow people to submit ideas. There may be some discussion on the issue and then a decision is made as to whether to proceed with the idea or not.

The challenge I'm trying to solve is that everyone who submits an idea should be able to see *all* of the ideas being submitted.

The only way I can see that is even close to being practical is to create an organisation that contains everyone who is submitting ideas. I need to figure out how to maintain the membership of the organisation but I think I may already have hit a blocker which is that I don't think a JSD customer can be in more than one organisation ...

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I can do to solve this? One of the reasons why JSD is the preferred solution is because the request types make it really clear as to what information is being sought.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2019

on the surface JSD seems a bit misplaced for this but then again I don't know all of your requirements. here are some of my thoughts:

• JSD has agents and customers. Customers are free (good) but customers can only access the portal and see issues where they are Request participants.
  • If agents make internal comments they Customers cannot see them. This might be good or bad depending on your requirements.
  • Customers can be in multiple organizations. So that is good given your stated concern. 
  • You could consider using Jira instead if you want allow everyone access and use either a custom field or Components in place of Request Types. Of course this requires everyone to be on a paid license but gives them full access of the applications, boards, dashboards, reports, etc.

Long story short you can use either one for ideas. The choice largely comes down to your requirements and how much access everyone needs.

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2019

Thanks, Jack.

We have Jira Software as well but it had been rejected due to the hurdles/steps people have to go through to create an issue on the right project and of the right type. The thinking was that have a simple JSD project with a single request type and the appropriate fields on it would make life a lot simpler.

At least it still might be possible to use organisations … I need to give some more thought to this :).

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2019

if you are on cloud then maybe a nice simple Next-gen project? Too, w/ Jira you can certainly create a simple "Ideas" project that is very simplified business project. I don't get the concern over hurdles/steps, but that is because i'm on the other end of the wire here. :-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events