Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of values of request-channel-type? Request-channel-type for widget?

Daniel Wakabayashi Admin GMail December 9, 2017

I'd like to understand what all the possible valid values are for request-channel-type.  Is it just 'email' and 'portal'?  If so, is the request-channel-type for the widget 'portal'?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2017

Hello,

As far as I know the list of values is (emai, portal, jira). Try to create an issue through the widget and then go to Jira issue navigator and type

request-channel-type in 

You will see all the suggestions for the field. Choose one and see if your created issue was returned by the query. 

Or simply open the created issue in the detailed issue view and in the Service Desk request pannel you will see the Channel field. That would be the request-channel-type.

Daniel Wakabayashi Admin GMail December 11, 2017

Thank you.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2017

Hi @Daniel Wakabayashi Admin GMail,

If Alexey's response helped resolve your question, could you please mark his answer as an accepted solution?   You would  just need to click the check mark next to the votes.   This then marks the issue as resolved and in turn other users with the same question can use this post as a means to resolve the same problem.

Thanks,

Andy

Ragnar Magnússon November 5, 2018

Hi @Andy Heinzer

just wanted to add to this post, hope it is the right place

I can see on the page: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira-servicedesk/3.7.1/com/atlassian/servicedesk/api/request/CustomerRequestChannelSource.html

that we now also have the "API" as a channel type.

When retrieving the tickets I also get alot of status "EMPTY" where are those ticket coming from ?

-Ragnar

Like Hlynur Ólafsson likes this
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2018

The empty value for request type tends to happen when user are creating issues in that project, but are not using the service desk customer portal, or the project is not using the service desk mail handler to create issues.    It is possible to create non-service desk issues in a service desk project (using the create button in Jira server or the + sign in the current versions of Jira Cloud).  In both platforms this would only happen with licensed Jira users that have permissions to create issues in that project.  It could be a Service Desk agent, or it could be some other Jira Core/Software user that has the create issue permission.

It's also possible to use a Jira core mail handler to create issues in Jira.  Both methods won't set the request type field when creating issues, so they are very problematic for creating issues in service desk.

Ragnar Magnússon November 8, 2018

Hi @Andy Heinzer

I am talking about Request Channel, but in your answer you are talking about Request Type

Does your answer also apply for the Channel part ?

-Ragnar

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
November 9, 2018

The two are directly related.  Forgive me, the Channel field wasn't a thing in older versions of service desk.   I can see now how my previous response isn't clear for your specific question here.

Could you clarify your previous statement of

When retrieving the tickets I also get alot of status "EMPTY" where are those ticket coming from ?

Which specific field in Jira is appearing as empty here?  Status? Channnel? Request type?  

Ragnar Magnússon November 5, 2019

I was referring to the Request Type.

Today using the search function in the API I am adding "request-channel-type=" to the JSQL to get these types

• PORTAL
  • EMAIL
  • API
  • JIRA
  • EMPTY

Wondering how the request type has the value "Empty" where is it then created from?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
November 6, 2019

Today the 'request-channel-type' has those options.  However in the past that was not always the case.  Initially the options were only portal, email, or NULL.   Eventually Service Desk gained its own API to create issues as well. 

In previous versions when a Jira Core/Agent user would create a Jira issue in a Service Desk project without using the customer portal/email/api, say with the Create button, then that field would not be populated at all.  This would be a NULL meaning there was no value there.

At some point in the option of JIRA was added to identify those issues created via Jira itself rather than the customer portal.

It's not clear to me if Empty is the name of a value here or just an equivalent of NULL.  It's possible that there might be some other plugin to Jira or add-on in your Jira site that could create issues outside of these other documented methods and not fill in that field.  In which case I'd expect it to show as actually empty or the actual term 'Empty', both of which would be a NULL of sorts on a database level for that field. 

Sorry if I can't accurately identify the source of such issues, the answer might depend upon when they were created and what options exists in Service Desk back then.  And then again it could be some other plugin that has the ability to create issues in this project as well.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events