Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit access for external Service Desk users to Service Desk projects

Sebastian Wramba July 31, 2017

Hi everybody,

the JIRA Service Desk ("SD") manual said that SD users don't count to the regular license. However, when somebody raises a SD ticket and completes the registering process, he is added to the group "jira-users" by Crowd which actually counts towards the JIRA licenses.

Not only that, he also has access to all the other non-SD projects. As the installation guide suggested, the JIRA is set to "Internal", but that does not help.

How can I limit access for external SD users to the SD projects only?

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2017

@Sebastian Wramba, can you check what you have setup under Applications > Application Access for JSD?

Sebastian Wramba August 2, 2017

JSD can be accessed by group jira-servicedesk-users

JIRA Software can be accessed by jira-users and jira-administrators

I think this whole thing might have to do something with this issue: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/cannot-login-to-service-desk-as-local-user-when-crowd-sso-is-enabled-777026935.html

I think to make this work I will have to disable Crowd SSO for JIRA or otherwise, newly registered users will inevitably be added to the Crowd which automatically adds them to the jira-users and confluence-users groups.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2017

Not quite.  The manual says SD customers don't count.

You are adding normal JIRA users.  You need to be adding these people as customers rather than users. 

Sebastian Wramba July 31, 2017

Thank you! Actually, our setup is pretty much standard. How do I change the registration so that it adds them as customers? Is there something in the manual I haven't seen?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2017

Possibly, although I think it's not an easy read.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/enabling-public-signup-and-captcha-828787685.html#EnablingpublicsignupandCAPTCHA-EnablingpublicsignupforJIRAServiceDesk

I think you may have enabled public signup for all users, which gets them into JIRA as users, and you only really want public signup for SD customers.

To enable JIRA Software sign-up, the manual says it should be set to be "Public" (which it's not in our case). Sign-up for Service Desk is enabled.

I see that there is a "Service Desk Customer" group in JIRA, but none in Crowd (only jira-users and jira-servicedesk-users).  New users are automatically added to the jira-users and confluence-users group in Crowd.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events