Language mess

Stephan Lehmke January 17, 2018

By changing the default language of my JIRA Service Desk Project(s) from English to German, I seem to have created a babylonian language mess.

I want everything in German. Period.

Although I set German to be the only available (and thus default) language wherever I could, when configuring Request Types and such, everything is still in English.

What's worse, the customers seem to get misleading German translations which I can't access from the service desk settings.

Concerning workflows, the current state seems to be that I overwrote all the English terms with the correct German translations, but on the ENGLISH side of things (which shouldn't exist, as I completely deleted English in the language support view).

While the GERMAN side of things is unavailable to me, but displayed to the customer, with misleading terms as I sometimes changed the meaning of states and state transitions in the workflow editor.

What I would need is a complete list of all the terms used by the system in both English and German, so that I can spot and correct the mismatched translations.

Does such a functionality exist, or is there any other way I can create a consistent GERMAN interface to my JIRA Service Desk?

TIA

Stephan

2 answers

0 votes
Stephan Lehmke February 17, 2018

Meanwhile, I found one reason for this annoying mess.

From the original workflow I used to construct this one, a couple of
transitions had attributes with i18n.title or somesuch in them.

It seems these attributes were overwriting the titles I input in the
workflow editor with some translations which were not accessible to me.
After deleting these attributes from the transitions, my own titles are
displayed.

So while I'm still at a loss why I can't just select a single language for my Service Desk, at least I can now influence what my customers are seeing.

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2018

Hi Stephan,

This is a known issue reported in Changing the system language in JIRA does not translate everything on a Service Desk portal.  Please vote on the issue to add impact and add your use case to the comments.

In addition, please take a look at Incomplete Translation in Languages Other than English in JIRA for more information.

Cheers,

Branden

Stephan Lehmke February 13, 2018

@somethingblueI'm not sure whether this is completely applicable.

I should have said that I'm using the Cloud version, for which the issue is closed, saying you can change the language now.

But my issue is not that. I could change the language of the Service Desk just fine. My issue is that although I set the Service Desk Language entirely to German, I still cannot access the German translations in the admin view.

Which makes kind of a twisted sense, as I have only one language and am not translating anything, but still my users are seeing terms I cannot influence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events