Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knowledge base for specific Organisations

Daniel Draper January 2, 2018

Hi,

We are currently using Jira Service Desk for our internal support system. We want to extend this for external use. We have discovered that you can custom security based on organisations. However when it comes to creating knowledge base articles it points to Confluence which is then shared globally and you can not lock it to specific organisations from what I can see you can only lock it to  users or groups. I also tried to create a group based on an organisation but this did not work.

Any suggestions to get this security flaw resolved please let me know.

2 answers

0 votes
Peter Kaiser January 11, 2024

It would be very helpful for us, too. At the moment we have to create an individual Service Desk Project for every customer-organisation, It would be very helpfull, if we could just have the chance to configure the available knowledge bases per organisation

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2018

You have to configure Access to "Unlicensed" users. Please see here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeap/give-access-to-unlicensed-users-from-jira-service-desk-826881942.html

Knowledge base enhancements

Allow Knowledge base access to all service desk customers 

Service desk project administrators can now grant knowledge base viewing access to all active users and all customers. Unlicensed Confluence users can view knowledge articles from spaces linked to service desks they already have access to. If you have linked a Confluence space to an open service desk (with public signup enabled), then all unlicensed users will be able to view the knowledge articles in that space. Unlicensed users can view knowledge articles in the customer portal, help center, and in Confluence if they're provided with a direct link. 

If you have linked JIRA Service Desk with Confluence Server, keep an eye out for the next major Confluence release so you can make use of this new unlicensed user option.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2018

Use Knowledge base reports
If you’ve already got your knowledge base up and running, it’s time to take a look at the brand new knowledge base reports  available in JIRA Service Desk. To view knowledge base reports for your service desk project, click Reports to list the reports available in the Reports pane.  

The Article usage report shows how many   times customers viewed knowledge base articles and how many said that an article  helped  solve their  problems. 
The Article effectiveness report compares the number of customers that were self-served through knowledge base articles and the number that ended up creating a request.
If you haven’t yet set up a knowledge base, read this blog post to understand why and how you should.

Daniel Draper January 3, 2018

Hi Tarun,

Unfortunatly this does not resolve my issue. We are not looking to open up our confluence to the public, quite the opposite actually.

We want to restrict access based on organisations rather than having it open to everyone. When I go to permissions on our knowledge base space tools it does not allow me to do that.

Space tools.PNG

Tarun Sapra January 3, 2018

Confluence doesn't support space permissions based on organizations. Instead it uses groups and individual users and anonymous access

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/assign-space-permissions-139460.html

Daniel Draper January 3, 2018

Yeah I was aware of this. But you can't create a group based on an organisation as they are not users just customers so it works a bit differently. I really want this feature to be added as we need to make sure other organisations can't see other organisations knowledge base articles as it will include sensitive information.

Like Eric Dunaway likes this
Tarun Sapra January 3, 2018

Indeed, this would be helpful. You can create a feature request in Confluence about it.

Peter Ingemann Köhn April 16, 2019

I really ned this too..! 

We are developing solutions on behalf of other SAAS companies - and their documentation is for them only. So we do need something similar, where some customers can see/access some parts of documentation - and "normal" users can only see what's relevant for them.. 

Like Eric Dunaway likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events