Jira and Jira Service Desk - Agent/Developers

QNHKevin July 10, 2017

Hi,

I'm currently writing an advisory for a compony we provide services to.
The conclusion is probably going to be Jira for Developers and Jira Service Desk for the helpdesk. But I was wondering if every Developer needs to be an Agent. Because there are only 3 people on the SD and 10 people in the development team this would dramatically increase costs for Jira SD.

Conclusion: do Developers need to be Agents as well? If this is not the case, what won't they be able to see in Jira SD?

Regards,

Kevin van Hoorn

QNH

2 answers

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2017

"How many people would you hire for picking up the phone in that company?"

That's the question I've heard in order to calculate the number of Service Desk agents.

It is important to know that Developers without a SD agent license can add just internal comments, not viewable by SD Customers.

Note that at least one person should be happy getting the customer attention as one of their main roles, which is not alwsys the case.

SD's Customer Portal should be a first layer of contact, and an SD agent should open a new issue in the appropriate Development project, linked with the ticke.t 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2017

generally you don't want your developers communicating w/ your customers in customer issue tracking systems. however, if that is not the case here and in fact the developers need to be working directly w/ customers then they are acting as agents. again, this isn't the way things are typically done.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2017

No. I would simply set up the developers as collaborators. The SD agents can create linked issues for development team as needed keeping the agents as the go-between for customers and developers.

As collaborators the dev team can comment on the JSD issue but cannot be assigned/work these isssues.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events