Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Service Desk - problem with setting up email channel

Deleted user August 23, 2019

Hi Community,

I have to create an email channel under a new project. I would like to use secure IMAP email account. The email address and the username are different. I put in all the details but it gives me back the comment below:

Unfortunately JIRA couldn't connect to the mail server. Here is what the mail server said: "connect timed out" Check out our troubleshooting docs for help resolving the issue.

I had my engineer who is maintaining our email system to have a look at to the logs and tells me that the Jira tries to access the email account by using the email address as username and not with the username I typed in.

Why is that?

Unfortunately we cant change the username to be the same as the email address.

Thanks,

Gergely

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2019

Gregely,

What your engineer is telling you does not sound accurate.  If you are using other and putting a username into the username field that is what Jira will use.  Also Jira should be getting a authentication error back from the mail server and not a connection timeout error.  With that being said can you try the following:

1. Use a different account just to make sure something is not caching on the server.  In fact I would use some fake account and see if your engineer sees that authentication attempt.

2. If this does not work and he does not see the attempt then I would look into firewalls that could be blocking you from reaching the server.  I think this is your issue.  You can run a trace route on the server hosting Jira and see if it can reach the email server.  If it can't start checking firewalls.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events