Jira Service Desk create issues e-mail with cc people in the e-mail request?

Cesar Salvado
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2014

I have Jira Service Desk. The Project is a JIRA Service Desk Project. In my instance on cloud the customer creates issues sending e-mails.  But normally when the customer sends an e-mail with the issue information, the customer writes with copy (cc) other people from the company.  The jira service desk creates the issue in open status, the reporter is the person who sends the e-mail, but the people who are in cc doesn't have any information about the request.  I want to configure that this people could receive notification from JSD with the status about the issue. Any idea?.

Regards.

4 answers

8 votes
Brandon Bowersox-Johnson November 20, 2014

You can vote for this feature request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-960

Add an explanation in that ticket of why this is important to you or how you use it. 

I agree with Cesar that this CC functionality is very important, and it's not currently available in JIRA Service Desk 2. There is some other discussion of this here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/9863656 and https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/10406433

3 votes
hugo.norte August 9, 2020

This is a very important issue for many users.

Can anyone please tell me how you address this in Jira Service Desk Cloud?

1 vote
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2017
Joseph Margiotta June 26, 2017

The link takes me to a page with a 404 error. Do you have an updated link?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2017
Joseph Margiotta June 26, 2017

The issue I have is that when a user opens a ticket via email they some times CC people on this ticket. The CC users are not be auto added to the ticket when its created. I would like for them to be auto added to the ticket. 

Bharath Kumar August 9, 2017

Hi Joseph,

Did you find a solution for that problem I have the same problem in my service desk, please let me knoe if you have a solution for this problem.

Thanks

Kumar Shirish Ranjan February 12, 2018

This is my first requirement , Does the link shared by @AnnWorley help?

has some one tried?

I could not understand the below part, Doe sit mean it works within same organization ?

Add participants via email 

If you create or respond to a request via email, add a request participant's email address in the TO or CC fields. The participant receives an email notifying them that they have been added.

Customers can add individual participants if they have permission to share requests. If the customer is in one organization, their request is shared automatically. Customers who are in more than one organization can't share requests with an organization via email.

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
February 27, 2018

Joseph, Bharath, Kumar, 

People added in CC via email should be added to the ticket automatically.

If not, it's probably a matter of permission:
If your service desk is only accessible to your customers, that you haven't enabled public sign up, and that the person added in CC is not part of your customer list, they won't be added to the ticket. 

Keep in mind to add everyone to your customer, to enable public signup or the login free portal on Cloud) if you want it to work. 

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2018

Ok so am i reading this right that anyone in the CC field should be added as a request participant? because for me, they are added as watchers, not request participants. I have looked into automation to try and move them from watchers to RP, however it doesnt seem like a field you can manipulate with automation.

So is my configuration bad? or does the description of this feature not match reality? My cc'ed users are becoming watchers not request participants. please advise.

i should also say we are using the built in mail handler and it is configured on the jira level, not the helpdesk level, as there are much more options on the jira level. Add to watchers is checked.

EDIT: wtf is the point of watchers? they dont get any email notificaitons, they cant comment on work orders... what the hell is the point of them? the only useful field is request participants but its almost impossible to manipulate that field. gah!

edit2: tried to use JSWE plugin to copy watchers field to request participants field on create and it doesnt work. sigh.

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
April 20, 2018

The answer I gave is to used with the Jira Service Desk email address not the Jira email handler. You need to follow this process for you CC to be added as participants. https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/receiving-requests-by-email-747602718.html 

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2018

Actually i just tested and it does work. we did switch to using the helpdesk mail handler when someone explained to me that it did have settings (just in a different place, or was done automatically, cant recall). This does work i can confirm that, cc user becomes request participant.

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2018

I am still having trouble getting this issue to work, and not sure what I am missing. I have public sign up enabled and the CCs are not showing up as request participants. @JiraYo can you give me some more specifics on how you got this to work?

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

well, its set at the site level, so under helpdesk. I guess that was the key? here are my settings from the parent jira CORE

settings.png

you may want to check your customer permissions:

https://JIRA/servicedesk/admin/PROJECTNAME/request-security

i think for your case you have to allow people to create accounts on the fly. For me all our accounts are from active directory. maybe thats the problem. I would imagine that a CC wouldnt work if the person didnt have an account. Well i dont know how taht works, sorry.

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

Thanks @JiraYo for this information! Are you using Jira Server or Cloud? I don't see the "Customer Account Creation" section in the Email Requests section

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

check customer permissions on the service desk site.

"Anyone can email the service desk or raise a request in the portal" might be the setting you need to set.

i am not sure how to create accounts on the fly from say, random internet customers, as we dont use servicedesk that way.  i remember seeing the screen before, perhaps part of it is JIRA CORE -> applications -> jira service desk -> configuration -> public signup "Yes, project administrators can allow anyone to email the service desk or raise a request in the portal"

does regular anonymous email work and just not cc'ed anonymous email? in which case you may want to open a ticket. might be by design, dont know.

We are using server not cloud.

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

@JiraYo thanks for the information, and for anyone else who may be reading this, I do have public signup enabled, and I am still not seeing CCs come through on the tickets. Help would be appreciated.

I am using JIRA Cloud

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

Actually, I figured it out. Our organization has a support@ email addresses that is managed by our GSuite. However, the support@ email address was not a native inbox. We have a google group that forwards email address to support@company.atlassian.net

I tested this out with a different email address and it solved the problem. I think this is a bug with how the mail handler treats forwarded emails. 

Like Christian Maak likes this
0 votes
Alex Kondratiev November 5, 2014

I was trying to do that buy adding email handler but I've reached jira users limit. Looking for the answer too.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events