Jira Service Desk - Transition to Software Project?

Kelly Fitzgerald May 15, 2017

Looking for a way to set up the company "Portal" to allow entry of issues into a Sofware project   OR to allow an easy transition from a service-desk issue into a software project.

Best practices for getting the issue from company user over to a developer without a middle-man re-typing the issue into the dev project.

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2017

As Nic stated moving JSD ticket to JSW is a bad idea. That said, this question comes up very often and I hope that Atlassian comes up with a slick implementation some day. For now I have copied and pasted in my response to this question from last week below.

>>> snip <<<

....You may want to read my response to the following topic for more on this - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-Service-Desk-questions/How-to-create-a-JIRA-issue-from-a-Ser...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2017

This is a bit of a bug-bear in JIRA Service Desk.

The problem is that you absolutely do *not* want to move an issue from a Service Desk into a Software project.  If you do that, it looks to the customer like you have deleted their JSD request, which is, at best, confusing, and at worst, looks rude and ignorant!

There is no simple fix for this without add-ons, but the later versions of JSD do have options for "create issue in other project from this request" for the Agents to hit when they need it - this clones most of the issue into the target project and links them together.  It's not fully automated (as in updates in dev don't flow into the JSD and vice versa), but it's moving that way.

Kelly Fitzgerald May 15, 2017

Thanks for the feedback. 
To your knowledge, is there any way to map a service portal to create issues in a non-service desk style project? 
(In other words, if we wanted our internal staff to be able to create a "bug" right into our dev backlog?)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2017

No.  A portal sits in front of a project.

If you want to create issues in none-service-desk projects, your user needs to be a full JIRA user.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events