Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Service Desk Issues

Rodrigo Sandrini September 15, 2017

Good morning JIRA team,

I am having some weird issues I'd like to sort out:

Running JIRA 7.3.8 with Service Desk 3.5.2

1) In my Service Desk Projects, I am missing many options: I don;t see Request Types, Customer Permissions, Knowledge Base, Satisfaction Settings, etc.

2) My Portals don't exist anymore. They disappeared and my shortcuts to them give me a 404 error.

3) I might have a "too many hands in the cookie jar" problem and I can't find the reason for all these occurrences. 

4) I have the same environment on QA and PROD and both are showing the exact same issue.

Please Yelp

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2017

Hi Rodrigo,

The fact that you don't see these Service Desk features when looking at these projects typically means the service desk plugin has not loaded in JIRA.    In cases like this, you could still see the project, but you would be missing all the features of service desk like the customer portal, queues, SLAs, etc.

To confirm this, I would look in the $JIRA_HOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file.  You can search this file for a string such as "FAILED PLUGIN REPORT".  If your Jira log has this during the most recent startup, then you have at least one plugin that did not start up when Jira started.  If this happens to be the Service Desk plugin, that would explain the current behavior you see on the site.

If that is the problem, here are the next steps I would recommend:

1. Increasing memory JIRA has steps on how you can provide more memory for JIRA to use.  
  2. JIRA Sizing Guide - Atlassian Documentation provides a background for how much system memory should exist and how much of that to allocate to JIRA based on the size of your environment.
  3. The most common reason for plugins not loading is that they exceed the timeout limit when trying to load.  You can increase this time with the steps in JIRA applications System Plugin Timeout While Waiting for Add-ons to Enable Setting a JVM startup parameter of -Datlassian.plugins.enable.wait=300 can force Jira to wait longer when JIRA starts up.

If this doesn't help, please let me know.  We will likely need to create a support ticket in order to gather more information from you about this instance.

Rodrigo Sandrini September 18, 2017

Andy,

You nailed it. In QA, I removed and readded the module and everything came back up. One thing I noticed in addition to the items I listed was that when creating new projects, there was no option to create a Service Desk project; inspecting the log file you referenced confirmed the issue.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events