Jira Service Desk: How do I assign an issue back to the portal customer?

Deleted user January 30, 2018

Hi, 

When my portal customers create an issue it is automatically assigned to an agent which is great.

But how do I assign the issue back to the customer? E.g. when the agent needs more information from the customer, or answer the question in the issue, but will not close the issue if the customer doesn't feel it is resolved. 

This is really important to do - otherwise what kind of service can we give, if we cannot assign an issue back to the reporter. 

I have of course set my permissions so that it should be possible to assign an issue to the reporter of the issue. However this doesn't work, as the reporter is a customer and not an agent. 

What can I do? 

3 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2018

Confirming what Julian indicated, the customer cannot be the Assignee of an issue. However, this is not necessary. The default workflow has the ability to Respond to Customer which places the issue in an Awaiting customer status which equates to the customer owning the next step. Then once they respond via comment it goes back to the agent.

1 vote
Julian K. January 31, 2018

Hi Jeannette,

if i understood correctly what you are aiming to do, then it should be sufficient to adapt your workflow you are using for your service desk project.

I would suggest to add a status like "Waiting for customer" which signals the customer that he has to do something. While the ticket is in this status the assignee of the ticket will still be your agent, but the customer knows it is his turn now.

As far as i know the only option to participate on tickets as a customer in JSD is to write comments to the ticket itself, or use some tranisition buttons, that you are able to choose in the workflow, when it is already assigned to a service desk ticket.

TL;DR: Adapt the workflow to your needs. Add a status like "Waiting for customer" and make some transitions available from the customer perspective.

0 votes
Arthur Ekanda Ekanda January 1, 2019

But the customer still need a way to know which issues are actually waiting on them without having to read over each and every issue. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 1, 2019

By default, as the reporter they will receive an email when it is waiting for them for input. As well in the portal if they view the issues they created then they know which ones require their input by the Status field. If there is concern that the customer is ignoring such emails or not using the portal then reaching out via phone call might be appropriate.

I can see where it would be a useful improvement to allow the customer to filter on issues in the “Waiting Customer” status. There may even be an existing suggestion on this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events