Jira Service Desk - Blank Queues

Andreas Hirtzel January 2, 2018

I have a strange behavior in my Jira server installation. If I create a new service desk based project, I can view the queues of the project only once. If I leave the page and come back, I get a blank page for the queue.

I have tried to clean browser cache etc. but the queues are still blank. I have also used different browsers on different machines.

Does anybody has a suggestion or can give me a hint, how to solve this?

Adi

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2018

I wanted to update this thread with the solution for this problem.  In our support case, we found that the HAR file generated when trying to load this page with the queues showed there were two requests that generated an HTTP 400 bad request error.  In this test we found this environment was also using a windows based reverse proxy in front of Jira.  As such there is a known bug listed in  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-64917  that explains that Windows proxies, like IIS, are known to have this problem with Jira 7.3.x and higher versions that have URL lengths in excess of 260 characters.

Andreas was able to follow this work-around on the proxy in order to resolve this for his environment:

Cause

Due to the URL length increase, we are reaching the Windows Path Limit of 260 characters. This not the IIS URL limit. More details here:

Workaround

From the above articles, it is possible to modify the Windows Registry and increase the UrlSegmentMaxLength value to handle more characters:

1. Backup the Registry
  2. With Regedit, browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\HTTP\Parameters
  3. Find the value for UrlSegmentMaxLength (or if it doesn't exist add a DWORD value), and change it to 00001000 (this is the hex for 4096)

Powershell alternative:

Set-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\HTTP\Parameters -Name UrlSegmentMaxLength -Value 4096

After using either method to adjust the registry (Regedit or Powershell), you must restart Windows for the changes to take effect. This will necessitate downtime, please plan a maintenance window accordingly.

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2018

Hi Andreas,

Could you tail your Jira Server Application Logs at the same time that you view the Service Desk and let us know what errors you see? 

Please have a look at this article for more information:

Jira Service Desk Queues Return Empty Page

Regards,

Shannon

Andreas Hirtzel January 3, 2018

Hi Shannon,

I had already checked the log files but unfortunately there is no error log entry like that in the article. I have also checked the database table but there is no record in the table with custom queue settings.

Regards, Adi

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2018

Hi @Andreas Hirtzel

This is a very strange problem to see.  So I created a support case for us to better gather logs in order to try to troubleshoot this problem more in depth.  Please see https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/3/SDS-29681 for more details.

Once we have a solution there, I will update this community post with the resolution.

Cheers,

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events