Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Service Desk Automation - Automatically close incoming ticket

Anthony Murdoch July 20, 2018

Hey everyone,

I'm probably being a real dolt here. I've set up Jira SD and Confluence on my server and it's all working fine, but I'm having some issues with automation rules.

Scenario: My remote management software (RMM) sends a notification by email to my support address about all sorts of stuff. Some of this is not ticket-worthy, but since reporting can't be customised in the RMM software, I keep the notifications enabled so an audit trail can be kept of these events. Software and Hardware changes (add/remove/install/uninstall) come with the subject header "activity notification" and come from the noreply@rmmvendor.com email address.

My Solution:

I've set up the following automation rule:

When: Issue Created

If: Issue matches reporter in ("noreply@rmmvendor.com") Issue matches: summary ~ "activity"

Then: Transition Issue: Resolve

image.png

The rule is set to run as myself, and as an administrator and service desk user I have the correct permissions to resolve an issue.

However, the rule fails to transition the status:

image.png

I've made sure that my user groups do have the permission to resolve, and they do. I also tried to add my account explicitly to the permissions, but still no go.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, but my Google-fu is failing me. Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Anthony Murdoch July 20, 2018

Looks to be obvious...

I think the problem was that for this type of issue, there was no workflow to go from "Waiting on Support" (where the ticket lands) straight to "Resolved".

I added this in the workflow and it now seems to work. So it wasn't a permissions issue but a workflow issue.

Is there any way to make the errors more verbose?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2018

@Anthony Murdoch, welcome to the community. Glad you figured it out. This was my suspicion and I was going to ask if you could manually make the transition occur. There is a log that you can look at but I don't think it would give you any more details in the case TBH. In this case given all conditions passed (green checkmark) then it had to be in the transition itself so that would key me to go to the workflow and look at the transition.

Anthony Murdoch July 23, 2018

Thanks Jack - I think I just need to get a little more used to the eco-system and how things work in Atlassian-land. It'll just take some hands on experience!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events