Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Service Desk Approval Emails not being sent to approvers

abbas.natto@saudienaya.com November 14, 2018

I have a new Jira Server installed with Service Desk in trial mode for only 2 days, so i haven't changed much in the system.

I tried to test the Approval work flow in both the "Change Request" and "Service Request With Approval" issue types, at first they didn't work as expected, on the right side of the ticket wasn't updating with the number of approvals and no emails were sent to the approvers or the CAB members. 

So i created a copy of the workflow and configured the approval and specified the CAB and associated the workflow with the schema with the issue. Now on the right side of the issue the approves work as expected, but still the emails are not being sent. 

I tried using the notification helper there is not event for approvals but on the other events it doesn't show anything is wrong and the emails are being received for all other events. 

How can i get or trouble shoot the issue of emails not being sent to Approvals or CAB members.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2018

Hi Abbas,

You need to go to the Customer Notifications and enable (and modify if you wish) the approval notifications.

The Jira project notifications won't send on approvals only the customer notifications

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/configuring-service-desk-notifications-732528936.html

Hope that helps

susan

yes thanks i got the emails working now, but when i press on the button to approve it takes me to this link

http://jira:8080/servicedesk/customer/user/approval-action/IT-90/6/approve

Its like a broken link, where i can't approve or decline the issue

Jira Capture 2.PNG

abbas.natto@saudienaya.com November 17, 2018

i had contacted the support team, and the solution was that the Customer Request type was null, there has to be a value for the portal to work.

Like # people like this
Bob Griffin August 6, 2020

I confirm that setting the Service Desk request type fixed my problem.

I had a service desk project where approvals were setup in the workflow, but the approvers never received email notifications. It turns out the Service Desk Request Type was not set. Once I updated the request type, notifications are sent.

Ryan Rosenthal June 9, 2021

I'm having an issue where the Issue Creation event is firing off before the customer request type can be applied. So it is not sending email notification. The approval step is the first step in the workflow. Anyone have a solution to fix this?

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

The Atlassian documentation is quite clear that there will be no notifications when there is no customer request type set.  Can you set a default for the customer request type? Or use a post function to set it?

I built an automation rules that applies the CRT to the issue when it is created using the Create button but it appears to be firing the issue created event faster than it can apply the CRT so it is missing it.

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

Which automation are you using?  I found the native one with Service Desk was faster less likely to get into a race condition then was the "project automation" (aka Automation for Jira).

Perhaps if you are able to have a default CRT somehow when it's created so the notifications will work, but then still have automation to change it to the correct one based on business rules?

We do have a copy of Automation for Jira as it is useful for somethings but for this, I'm using the native automation system.

That is along the lines of what I was thinking as well but I'm not sure how to go about that. Can that be added as a Post Function in the workflow? How would I default a CRT?

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

You should be able to set up a request type for the issue type that you are creating.  You can then hide that request type so it's not visible on the portal. Make it very simple just summary and description (like an email one).

I have that setup already and a native automation rule to apply it at creation. But it seems like it is happening after the issue creation event that causing the approval email to be sent.

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

Ryan, I'm out of ideas.

Try running through this troubleshooting KB:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/the-approval-notification-is-not-sent-when-a-service-management-request-is-waiting-for-an-approval-1031835729.html

IF still stuck, post a new question on community and it will get a wider audience.

Thank you for the help! Much appreciated.

0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2018

HI,

Are the approvers set up as customers of the service desk. THey need to be in order to do approvals.

Susan

I'm only using ActiveDirectory Users and in the project "Everyone with an account on this Jira instance is a customer"

Jira Capture 3.PNG

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events