Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira SD: custom drop downs within a ticket that are only visible to internal Jira SD users

Lauren V December 27, 2017

Using server edition. I have worked thru these Confluence articles but no luck: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/adding-a-custom-field-802592519.html?_ga=2.207139667.1975078061.1514309237-1533770071.1510781767

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/adding-editing-and-deleting-a-custom-field-776636410.html

1: I am able to make the custom drop down, but can't link it to any issues even though I have made this menu available for issue types: incident, problem, etc. When I try to go to that particular ticket type and add the dropdown it only lets me select from pre-baked options. Do I have to make a new kind of issue type?

2: Need to know how to make this same custom dropdown field only visible to internal users, not customers.

Thanks in advance, happy to provide more info!

1 answer

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2017

Hi@Lauren V

I don't really understand what kind of information you want to be displayed in that custom field. What do you need exactly? 

Thanks in advance.

Lauren V December 28, 2017

Hi - so I was able to create the custom field just find under admin settings. It's set up. What I cannot do is properly link it to an issue. So, when I go back to a problem or incident, for example, I don't see it as available to link to that particular issue.

Then my second question is, once I get it linked, I want it to be visible only internally, not to the customer.

Hopefully that makes sense

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2017

So you want that a custom field you created is only visible by users inside a Jira Issue?

First of all, you need to create a custom field and then add it to the appropriate screens (Screens in admin panel). There are 3 screens: Create, Edit and View (Screen Scheme) and you can use different screens for different Issue Types in a single project (Issue Type Screen Scheme)

The thing is, you can't limitate who can see or not a field, every user with browse project permission in the permission scheme (user/group/role) can see all the information about all issues in that project - except due date if the user doesn't have Schedule Issue permission.

Now, you can limitate the visibility in the Service Desk Portal inside the Project Settings, and choose which fields will appear in the Portal after you switch the scheme associated to the project.

Hope it helps

Thank you - so, step 1, creating a custom field, is done

This is for Jira Service Desk - so when I say I want to limit the view, I want to have it such that the customer doesn't see it, aka, the person who submits an issue on the portal. It's ok for all internal Jira SD users to see the field. So it sounds like I just limit a field on the Service Desk Portal, as you described and I will be all set?

Regarding this info you wrote: "First of all, you need to create a custom field and then add it to the appropriate screens (Screens in admin panel). There are 3 screens: Create, Edit and View (Screen Scheme) and you can use different screens for different Issue Types in a single project (Issue Type Screen Scheme)"

In the screens admin panel, I can only choose the screen name (like you said, create, edit, view) but I don't see a way to edit the content of those screens. What am I missing there? It looks like there is just a dropdown that allows me to choose a screen, but no way to edit

Thank you in advance by the way - I hope this isn't seeming overly complicated!

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2017

Sorry for the delay Lauren,

First create the screens, you dont need to create three of them but it may be useful later if you create them now (recommended - "Project key" + Create Screen "Project name"- )

When you create the screens (Screens in admin panel) choose the fields you want, you can configure them again later in the same admin panel.

Go to Screen Scheme and create a Scheme for the project and then choose the screens for every action. Same with Issue type screen scheme, and then associate the scheme in your project settings.

After this is done, you can choose which field will be shown in the portal (except assignee).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events