Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira SD - comment added instead of creating new issue

Timo Trummer June 5, 2019

Hello :) 

I'm running Jira Service Desk 4.1.0 and have a SD project where customers can create issues via email. As I understand overall logic is that if the subject of an email contains a key of an already existing issue, then the email body is added as a comment under that issue. If an existing key is not found in the email subject, a new issue is created. 

Now, I found a case, where a customer sent an email which subject does not contain existing issue key, but is the same as an existing issue's summary and the body of that email was added as a comment to that issue. 

In other words: there is an existing issue with summary "Testing1" and when new email is sent to service desk with the same summary text (NOT key) "Testing1", then this is added as a comment under previous issue, not created a new one. 

Can you please advise if this is some kind of bug or is this a feature? 

Regards
Timo

1 answer

0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

@Timo Trummer , We just had the same experience happen to us.  The customer had an open request with the subject/summary: Daily Price Coverage that he had emailed to us 2 weeks ago. 

Today he send a new email with the exact same subject/summary Daily Price Coverage and instead of a new issue being created, it added his email as a comment to the existing open issue.

The jira key is nowhere to be found in the subject of the email or in the body of the email.  It's not an email chain. 

It seems that the mail handler in JIra service desk matches as well on reporter and subject to create a comment?  Is this expected behaviour?

Timo, did you get any answers on this?

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events