cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Email Notification Scheme differs per Channel

JoostK May 18, 2015

We have JIRA 6.4 and JIRA servicedesk 2.4.2

Below is our complete notificatiion scheme

The main issue for reporters is: No generated mails on comments, instead we use an email plugin. (a.o. allowing us to adress multiple recepients) 

ns.png

We enter the issues via the Jira backend and the Jira portal

In Jira this is shown as the “channel.”

jc.png

Or

pc.png

The problem:

As of 6.4  I notice this:

-      Reporters of an issue entered via the Jira Channel do not receive emails on comments. The notification scheme is followed. Correct.

-      Reporters of an issue entered via the Portal Channel  do receive emails on comments. The notification scheme is NOT followed! Not Correct tmho

Since our email plugin add the mail as a comment, sending email on a “Portal Channel issue” generates 2 emails for the customer. sad

This does not apply to internal comments.

Question:

How can I have all issues using the same , own defined(!),  notification scheme? Now I have to bare in mind what the Channel is when adding comments/sending emails.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2015

Customers on JIRA Service Desk will only and always receive the notifications when the following events occur:

• when they raise a request through the Customer Portal,
  • when their request is resolved,
  • when another user comments on their request, and
  • when there is a change in the request's status, i.e. the 'status name'.

Reference: Configuring JIRA Service Desk notifications.

Currently it won't be possible for Customers to receive notifications on other events or choose which of those they will receive. This is being tracked on JSD-914.

The only way that this would work is if Customers were considered as JIRA Users, which would lose the value of actually having this distinction, hence I didn't mention it as a workaround.). You could possibly create a rule in the mail server JIRA is using to block these emails from being sent - I do understand how "ugly" this would be, but as of now is the best workaround I can think of. Alternatively, you could turn off the Notifications setting for JIRA Service Desk (in the Administration), which would prevent all notifications for Customers.

I hope this at least clarifies a bit, and also please add yourself as a watcher to JSD-914 to receive future updates regarding it, as well as vote on it to increase its popularity.

0 votes
JoostK May 27, 2015

Thanks for the extensive answer

It seems the Notification setting was switched off in 6.3 and during the 6.4 update it was switched on. 

Most interaction with customers is just via email so we are not much infected by the bug related to JSD-914

Intersting issue though and I will watch it.

Keep up the good work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events