Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Displays Odd/Obscure Error Message When Posting a Comment w/ Emojis

Kevin B Tufts July 26, 2019

I just recently was trying to comment on a Jira issue and got a very obscured error. (Took a screenshot of this)

The error was very obscure as it said "Communications Breakdown" in the modal title and gave some other non-helpful stuff in the Error Modal contents box.

I refreshed and even waited a day to add my critical stuff to the Jira. After a few days of getting the same error, I open a support ticket with my company's IT Desk.

Come to find out, this is related to the fact that I had a smiley emoji in my comment. (Felt super stupid after IT gets involved and pointed that out!)

Would have been nice if Jira detected this and warned or told me so I could simply remove the emoji and post my comment.

In this day and age of overused emoji icons... surprised that this is not allowed OR that the software doesn't even say why there was an issue.

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 10.45.33 AM.png

1 answer

0 votes
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2019

Odd, as Jira provides emojis in the comment field. :/

jira.jpg

Yeah seriously! So, I guess Atlassian wants you to strictly use the set of emoji's they provide vs the typical Unicode 6.0 emojis. Sheeesh! 

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2019

Even more fun ... whereas using an emoji in a new comment generates the cryptic error you state, adding one while editing a comment causes an exception dump including SQL. Sheesh.

jira.jpg

Like Kevin B Tufts likes this

O M G! , that is wild!!!

I tried adding this feedback via my Jira instance and got non-related issue that blocked me from submitting.

I guess this issue will sit unmonitored by Atlassian... (Sad Face Here)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events