Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Core/Software, Service Desk upgrade

Aaron Williams September 6, 2017

Hello

What is the best order to upgrade Jira SD, Jira Core/SW?

Prelim info, in the event anyone asks.

We're upgrading from Jira Core/Software 7.0 to 7.38 and Service Desk 3.5.2. These versions we're selected to allow plugins to be upgraded and still operate.

This is an in-place upgrade. I understand that for the upgrade option, the installer will make a backup, however we'll do an additional file-level backup as well as database backup.

Because we want those specific versions, we will be using the bin installer from the CLI and not the GUI.

Should Core/SW be upgrade first, then Service Desk, or does it matter? Should Jira be shut down during this time? Seems like it should be.

Here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/Upgrading-JIRA-Guidance/qaq-p/631439 is mentioned that plugins ought to be upgrade, then Jira restarted in safemode. Is this correct?

Is there definitive documentation that can be referred to?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2017

Hi Aaron,

You'll need to upgrade Software/Core first and then upgrade Service Desk.  In addition, you don't have to stop JIRA as the installer will do everything it needs to do but it won't hurt if it is stopped.

Please be sure to read the JIRA Service Desk 3.2.x release notes for more information about the upgrade path since you'll be upgrading JIRA Service Desk as well:

If you already have JIRA Service Desk  
  • Make sure you have at least JIRA Service Desk 3.0 and JIRA 7.0
  • If you don't have JIRA Service Desk 3.0 or JIRA 7.0, first upgrade to JIRA Service Desk 3.0 and JIRA 7.0. Then, upgrade to JIRA Service Desk 3.2 and JIRA 7.2.

Hopefully that clears things up!

Cheers,

Branden

Hello Branden

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help. 

Concerning the plugins, would you recommend starting in safe mode, then upgrading them, or upgrading the plugins after CORE/SW, Service Desk have been upgraded?

Thanks

Ha

I got it.

Compatible once both JIRA and the add-on are updated

These add-ons have updates that are compatible with JIRA 7.3.8, but are not compatible with your current version of JIRA. Disable these add-ons and perform the product update to safely proceed. After this is complete you can update the add-ons.

Thanks!

0 votes
Vusal Aliyev November 13, 2019

I installed ServiceDesk than with obr installed jira software. now i have to upgrade all. where to start? 1st servicedesk then jira software or softwre first then with obr servicedesk?

Vusal Aliyev November 13, 2019

@somethingblue  plz can you help me?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events