JIRA Service Desk returns blank page on portal when running behind Apache2 mod_proxy

Hi everyone!
Since Atlassian support told me to ask here, here's my question: 

I have a little problem with my JIRA Service Desk.
My JIRA Service Desk works really fine, even the atlassian support didn't detect any error in my logs.

However, the customer portal, when JIRA is running behind Apache2 with mod_proxy (i have no SSL, everything is on HTTP) appears as a blank page, and doesn't generate any errors (nor in tomcat or in JIRA logs. Even Apache tells that everything is right). When accessing the customer portal (is the only thing affected) directly, everything works fine.

Here is my apache2 configuration and server.xml configuration:

Server.xml: http://pastebin.com/iuEGMVgy
VirtualHost.conf: http://pastebin.com/BHbHaqVF

I hope that someone has some clues on this error and I hope to get some response.
Thank to everyone who will reply me,

Gabriele (aka CappyT)

16 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Pedro Cora Atlassian Team Oct 24, 2014

Check if you don't have Gzip compressions enabled in JIRA's General Configuration screen.

smile

-- Pedro

I know that Jira was causing issues behind apache2 with gzip, but gzip is already disabled...

David Currie Atlassian Team Oct 26, 2014

If you look in the chrome dev console, is there any errors? You could also try enabling the network tab and checking to see if there are any requests that are returning errors

Yes, using firefox (i will try later with chrome) it shows these two errors on file "batch.js:1" 1) AJS.contextPath() is not here. Please use require("servicedesk/util/context-path") 2) SyntaxError: JSON.parse: bad control character in string literal at line 1 column 459 of the JSON data

@David Currie could be that i'm running behind cloudflare?

And if you bypass the proxy (by adding a second connector as per https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Integrating+JIRA+with+Apache) does the customer portal render? It would be interesting to see if we can isolate out that proxy as a cause or if it's something else

@David Currie Yes, bypassing the proxy makes the page render correctly...

Interesting, cloudflare might have something to do with this. You could try disabling the cloudflare acceleration and any SSL if you're using that to see if that makes a difference. The general proxy settings look OK from what I can see of them.

Same problem here .. we're also trying to cover the shitty /servicedesk/customer/portal/.......... URIs with a reverse proxy.. encountering "AJS.contextPath() is not here. Please use require("servicedesk/util/context-path")"

We're having the same problem.  Simply doesn't render.  Same problem.  AJS not defined.  jQuery not defined.

Same here.

@David Currie Yes, that was the issue, finally I can use again Service Desk. Should I report that to the JIRA of the Service desk? I think supporting cloudflare is really important.

same here

@Gabriele Turelli Could you please share again your configuration? I'm also trying to get this working but no luck yet. I'm afraid your pastebin links are expired. Really appreciated, thanks!

I have the same problem.   Has anyone found a solution?

Same problem for me. We cannot render the portal page using a SSL VPN proxy. You end up with a page of AJAX:

"login":{"allowCookies":true,"externalUserManagement":false,"contactAdminLink":"please contact your JIRA administrators","elevatedSecurityCheckShown":false,"loginUrl":"/servicedesk/customer/user/login","canReset":true,"googleApps":{"enabled":false},"sdUserSignUpEnabled":false,"abpEnabled":true,"atlassianId":{"enabled":false}},"globalBranding":{"logoUrl":"/rest/servicedesk/1/customer/viewport-resources/image/1","theme":{"headerBGColor":"#bac9b3","headerLinkColor":"#ffffff","headerLinkHoverColor":"#ffffff","headerLinkHoverBGColor":"#3572b0","headerBadgeColor":"","customCss":""}},"helpCenterBranding":{"headerBGColor":"#bac9b3","headerLinkColor":"#ffffff","headerLinkHoverColor":"#ffffff","headerLinkHoverBGColor":"#3572b0","logoUrl":"/rest/servicedesk/1/customer/viewport-resources/image/1","logoId":"1","helpCenterTitle":"Welcome to the xAd IT Service Center","contentTextColor":"","contentLinkColor":"","sharedPortalName":"xAd IT"},"xsrfToken":"B2YO-Y37K-3XA8-Z2DH|c715f5916e08144cc7cf06721e3628e37909fe3c|lout"}
{"headless":false,"wacLink":"http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk","serviceDeskVersion":"3.1.0-OD-09-001-D20151221T080724","contextPath":"","xsrfToken":"B2YO-Y37K-3XA8-Z2DH|c715f5916e08144cc7cf06721e3628e37909fe3c|lout","baseUrl":"https://XXXXXXX/servicedesk/customer","relativeBaseUrl":"/servicedesk/customer","customerLoginEnabled":true,"maxAttachmentSize":"41943040","gravatarEnabled":false,"onDemand":true,"disabledFeatures":[],"enabledDarkFeatures":["jira.plugin.devstatus.automatic.transitioning","ka.AJAX_PREFETCH","jira.plugin.devstatus.smartcommits.dvcs.enabled","nps.survey.inline.dialog","jira.plugin.devstatus.phasefour.enabled","rotp.admin.shortcuts","com.atlassian.jira.projects.issuenavigator.cachefix","jira.plugin.devstatus.phasetwo","jira.frother.reporter.field","com.atlassian.jira.jira-feedback-plugin","atlassian.rest.xsrf.legacy.enabled","jira.plugin.devstatus.bamboo.enabled","jira.administration.workflow.validation","jira.i18n.eager.caching","ondemand.language.beta","dvcs.connector.smartcommits.disabled","atlassian.connect.dhe.disabled.awl-gebsun.rhcloud.com","jira.issue.status.lozenge","unified.usermanagement","com.atlassian.jira.projects.issuenavigator","com.atlassian.jira.config.PDL","jira.plugin.devstatus.phasetwo.enabled","jira.plugin.fisheye.tab.enabled","com.atlassian.jira.projects.issue.summary.vignettes","atlassian.aui.raphael.disabled","com.atlassian.jira.config.CoreFeatures.PERMISSIONS_MANAGED_BY_UM","app-switcher.new","frother.assignee.field","jira.projectconfig.issuetypes.sidebar","APDEX-517.warmhardcoded","com.atlassian.jira.config.CoreFeatures.ON_DEMAND","jira.plugin.projects.version.tab.feedback.banner","jira.event.mau.logging.disable","rotp.project.create","atlassian.connect.dhe.disabled.aip-flyingagile.rhcloud.com","jira.baseurl.cdn.enabled","fusion.bitbucket.rebrand","ka.STABLE_SEARCH","ka.SEPARATE_VIEWISSUE","jira.bamboo.legacy.force","jira.plugin.devstatus.background.refresh.enabled","ka.SPLIT_VIEW","com.atlassian.jira.config.CoreFeatures.LICENSE_ROLES_ENABLED","ka.AJAX_VIEW_ISSUE"]}

We just had a case where a customer had a blank page when trying to access the customer portal through a Firefox browser with javascript deactivated.

To make the portal accessible again the preference javascript.enabled had to be toggled from false to true in about:config.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 13, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

Jira Service Desk – Don’t be afraid, the journey begins with curiosity!

...be more productive while being fun to use at the same time. For some, getting started can be a bit intimidating. This is especially true if Jira Service Desk is your first exposure to Atlassian...

9,840 views 9 28
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you