Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA Service Desk - create user without license via mail handler

Tobias Dunkel August 28, 2014

Hello,

we want to use the Jira Service Desk (Jira On-Demand). We need to get issues created via e-mail from our users, but don't want them to get licenses. I've read about the way with the report-user but that's not a good solution because if I'm getting that right, I can't communicate with the reporter within the issue/ticket.

Is it possible to create custom handlers/functions in Jira On-Demand, that allow me to create users for an incoming e-mail and don't add them to the jira-users group or something like that?

Best regards,

Tobias

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2014

No. To be a reporter, you either need to have an account, or use the report-user as you've already found.

If you weren't using OnDemand/Cloud, you could run up an email handler that could read the incoming email address and store it on the issue, but they still couldn't be a reporter

1 vote
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2014

The requirement to 'be' the reporter doesnt seem to be in the question, what is expresses is the problem of communicating with that sender. Well, this is exactly what JEMHC does (Enterprise Mail Handler for JIRA Cloud), and is stilling on our support@thepluginpeople.commailbox for email support now.

JEMHC, the Cloud version of JEMH, is nearing end of BETA right now, so is coming real soon now, it is an external mail handler for JIRA Cloud and will support email only users, much like JEMH does now, it supports a lot of email processing options, customization, as well supporting email only users.
It would not surprise me if other products start adding email only support real soon now also.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2014

>JEMHC, the Cloud version of JEMH,

Yay!

Kathrine Lauritzen September 3, 2014

Andy: By using JEMHC,

• Wwill external users be able to create new issues by sending in an email?
  • Will Jira be able to recognize the user, so their name is displayed as reporter?
  • Will the external user be able to receive an "issue created" email, without having the ability to log into Jira and view the project?

Sorry for hijacking the thread:)

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2014

• Will external users be able to create new issues by sending in an email?

Yes

• Will Jira be able to recognize the user,

Yes, the email 'personal' and address are stored in custom fields, comments made by emails are prefixed with the personal and address for identification.

... so their name is displayed as reporter?

No because they aren't interactive users.

• Will the external user be able to receive an "issue created" email, without having the ability to log into Jira and view the project?

Yes

re: threads, you can always create a new one!

0 votes
Fabrizio Galletti
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2014

after the new jsd 2.0, seems something has changed

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2014

There is a workaround I believe, although it very much is a 'workaround'. If you remove the user from jira-users, they don't count toward your JIRA license. Same goes for Confluence.

So you have the potential to turn off access for the user, thus rendering your license number 'back' where it was before. I don't think there's a screen ability to change that default, nor a way to do this over REST. I guess you might be able to do something via SQL or something but that's clearly out of the scope of typical nonsense.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events