JIRA Service Desk - Operational/Product Categorisation

Gareth Ford January 5, 2018

Hi,

I am just in the process of setting up our JIRA Service Desk instance. We have a defined Categorisation model that we would like to set up in the tool allowing for us to track issues by either technology or products specific to our organisation.

The best way to do this seems to be by amending the Product and Operational Categorisation fields to contain this information for us. I am guessing that this is a common ask by different companies to allow them to report on products specific to their own architecture and service maps. Can anyone advise on the best way to amend this data?

Our categorisation information is not so large that I would necessarily need to import this but I cannot find a way to amend this manually either, and cannot find any queries about this on here to try at fixes. Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Gareth Ford January 8, 2018

Ivan,

I have managed to work out how to do this now, so no need to provide any further guidance at this time.

Thanks,

Gareth

One final question, Ivan...

The below issue has been open since 2005 and without any update since 2016. Do you know if this is actively being worked on? (It shows as being unassigned)

Our reporting structure is based around this functionality being in place.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-6851

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2018

As it's unassigned and inactive, I'm afraid Atlassian are not working on it.  Open does mean they have not ruled it out though.  And I know they're working on revising the way fields are attached to projects in general.

Thanks for such a prompt response, Nic. It does seem like a pretty simple ask and one which would bring great benefits, given the number of people who have voted on this issue. I shall continue watching the issue for any updates that may come along.

0 votes

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your response. Components may give us some of the functionality we are looking for, so thank you for that.

However, we would still need to amend the entries for the Product and Operational Categorisation to match our reporting needs. Are you able to advise as to how this is most easily done?

As I mentioned initially, if this has to be done manually (rather than in bulk), that is not much of an overhead for us. We just want to be able to enhance our reporting and would need different parameters than are currently available to allow us to do this.

0 votes
Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2018

Hi Gareth,

If I understood your requirement correctly, then components might be the solution you are looking for.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events