JIRA Service Desk Mail Puller Runs Too Slowly (6-7 minutes)

Chris O'Brien August 30, 2017

We can demonstrate, like clockwork, our JSD email puller runs every 6-7 minutes. This creates a huge delay for quickly processing incoming mail and slows the entire product down to a crawl. Round trips (emails in -> confirmation email back to the user) take a good 12-14 minutes.

We've looked through the JSD mail settings, connectivity logs, and exchange logs. We can confirm the mail gets delivered to the email account JSD is looking at within seconds, but is ignored until that 6-7 minute period where the mail puller decides to run.

Can anyone help point us in the right direction? A specific log (in or out of the UI) to look at? Anything to explain the delayed and programatic-feeling nature of this check would be extremely helpful!

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2017

Hi Chris,

The first thing I would check is the Global Mail Puller scheduler settings per the Troubleshooting JIRA Service Desk Incoming Mail knowledge base article:

There are three jobs involved in Service Desk processing mail which are Global PullerGlobal ProcessorCleaner Job. You can access scheduler details for all these jobs VIA the admin search (logged in as admin) by hitting the G key twice and typing Scheduler Details. You can click show more to see the schedule and other details.

This Global Puller is a scheduled job that is set to run every minute. When the puller job is triggered, each email inbox registered to JEPP will in turn has emails fetchedAll unread emails in the inbox will be retrieved, including emails sent to cc, bcc, forwarded email, emails to mail list, etc. It will not pull e-mail in the case of Attachment size is too big (larger than 25MB).  

The Global Processor scheduler job runs every minute and processes all unprocessed mail items saved in the database by the Global Puller. This scheduler job runs independent to the Global Puller. JEPP currently has the following default filters to be reused: 
  • AutoReplyMailFilter - This filter rejects auto-replied emails. If Auto-Submitted header in an email has a value different from "no", that email will be considered as auto-replied emails. Ref: http://www.iana.org/assignments/auto-submitted-keywords/auto-submitted-keywords.xhtml
  • BulkMailFilter - Some emails will be marked as "spam" by the mail server. This filter will reject those emails.
  • DeliveryStatusMailFilter - Some mail service will send delivery status notification emails to let the sender know the status of the sent email. This filter will check whether the "multipart/report" header contains "report-type-delivery-status" OR in case of a bounce message, the "Return-Path" header of the email has null email address ("<>"). Ref:Bounce_message#Causes_of_a_bounce_message
  • SentFromJIRAMailFilter - This filter will check whether an email was sent from a JIRA instance. All JIRA notifications will have "X-JIRA-FingerPrint" in their header.

Take a look at the mail puller settings and make sure they were not changed. 

I don't see these values changed often so the next step I would do is take a look at the Mail Handler by going to System Administration > Mail > Incoming Mail and you should see this field that can be edited:

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 1.36.57 PM.png

Verify that is not set to 6 and if so change it to the amount of time you would like.

Cheers,

Branden

Chris O'Brien September 5, 2017

Hi Branden!

Thank you for your response! I can confirm the puller, processor, and cleaner jobs look good.

When I check the Incoming Mail settings - we have mail handlers for just about every project we've got (all of them have the 1 minute delay option as you point out)- but nothing for Service Desk in there. I was under the impression that the Service Desk specific mail handling was done in the project itself (projectname -> email requests). If not, maybe that's our problem.

Should I be seeing/creating a explicit mail handler in the incoming mail settings? 

Chris O'Brien September 6, 2017

I also want to note that regular mail processing elsewhere in JIRA seem fine - it's really JUST service desk which is slow.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events