cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA Service Desk - Automation - webhook for Slack failing

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2017

I have set up an Automation rule for SLA breaching to trigger a webhook.  The webhook I have specified is a Slack Incoming Webhook.  I have not specified headers.  I have tried with or without including payload.

The automation log shows success. 

The service-desk.log shows this error:

Failed executing ThenAction com.atlassian.servicedesk.plugins.automation.webhook.rulethen.WebhookThenAction asynchronously: 'Received [400 - Bad Request] when posting to webhook URL https://hooks.slack.com/services/T0252S5Q6/B79B.........

Our webhooks from System Admin for regular JIRA to Slack work just fine.  This seems to only be an issue via the Service Desk automation webhook.

Has anyone encountered this problem?  Not sure if next stop should be Atlassian or Slack?

1 answer

0 votes
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2017

Have you looked at the payload contents? Requestbin https://requestb.in/ is very useful for that kind of thing. Normal webhooks give some kind of reason how it was triggered (based on an event or on a transition). I'm curious if the automation rule trigger is posting in a format unfamiliar to Slack.

I would compare the payload from the automation rule to the payload from triggered by event/transition for similarity.

Chris Michetti February 27, 2019

I have the same problem as the above user.

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2019

Hi Chris,

We finally gave up on using the Automation native to JSD.  We purchased Automation for Jira app and it's fabulous.  We use that now for any slack notifications.

Hopefully the native slack webhook will get fixed up in the upcoming releases.

Cheers

Susan

Chris Michetti February 28, 2019

Thank you, I appreciate your follow up.  Do you know if that app overrides all of the existing automations that come built in or do they stack?

Thanks

Chris

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 28, 2019

Hi Chris,

THere is no override, they are separate from the JSD Automation.  So I have a mix of JSD Automation  and Automation for Jira items set up in my instance.  I just pick whatever works best for the requirement that I have.

If you have any trouble setting up the slack automation, let me know if you do decide to purchase that app.  There are a few tricks, but I've got it working great now.  We really love it.

Cheers

Susan

Chris Michetti February 28, 2019

Appreciate that, thanks very much.  Just a little scared by the $27 per month price tag.  There's a free version of it that might work for what I need.

Amaresh Ray
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2019

Hi @Chris Michetti  – I would love to chat with you. We're looking at adding this functionality to JSD automation, and would love to learn more about what you're looking to accomplish. It doesn't look like I can send you a message here, so would you be able to send an email to amaresh.ray [at] atlassian.com with your availability? 

Greg McFalls October 12, 2020

I'm also looking to integrate Slack with JSD.  The automation is simple to start - new ticket = new message in a Slack channel.  We're having a hard time setting this up.  I'm going to try the Automation for Jira to see how that works.  It should be easier though.  The webhook automation doesn't work well with the webhook provided by the Slack API.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events