JIRA Service Desk - Assign issues to epics/stories

Christopher D_Souza October 11, 2017

Hello, 

We started using JIRA service desk for basically our digital marketing tasks. Much of these revolve around web management and development. I need to roll up the issues to large groupings, which I believe is Epic and Story in Jira.

Can this be done in Jira Service Desk?

1 answer

2 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2017

Hi Christopher,

JIRA Service Desk (JSD) is designed to be an ITSM tool where your customers can raise service requests.

JIRA Software (JSW) is an Agile Project Management and issue tracking system for development teams.

The two address completely different scenarios. I am not sure how you have implemented JSD for digital marketing, but I am going to guess you are taking requests from customers, and if they are a new feature to be implemented, you want to track that as an Epic for your development teams.

If yes, please have a read through the doc at https://www.atlassian.com/blog/archives/collaborate-developers-using-jira-service-desk

Alternatively, please explain in more detail how you use JSD and JSW.

Cheers

Bhushan

Alexander Hippe March 6, 2018

Hi Bhushan,

so it is impossible to add a JSD Issue to an Epic? On of our PMs just asked if this is possible.

Thanks and best regards

Simon

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

@Alexander Hippe, yes you can add a JSD issue to an epic. 

Like Cameron McCulloch likes this
Andrew Green April 4, 2019

Hey @Jack Brickey  to clarify - could you classify an issue within the JSD as an Epic? Or do you mean its only possible to add a JSD issue to an epic within a project (JSW)?

Thank you in advance.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2019

well we were talking about adding a JSD issue to an epic. However, you certainly can add the Epic issuetype to a JSD project and thereby create an epic if you like. So I guess both. I have not played w/ this but I just verified that I could add the issuetype to a test JSD project. Note I suspect you need JSW in your instance for this. In other words I don't expect Epic issuetype to exist in JSD standalone but could be wrong.

Like Andrew Green likes this
James Halpin September 16, 2021

One of our customers has submitted a request for a large software development project. We use both JSD and JSW. This request was raised via JSD.

Initially we added several subtasks to that issue, but to clean things up I'm not attempting to migrate the Parent issue to an Epic and the Subtasks to Tasks within the Epic.

I have successfully converted the submitted issue to an Epic, and I can add Tasks within that epic, and I can convert existing subtasks to Tasks within the JSD project, but I can't seem to convert subtasks to tasks and assign them to the existing Epic. I was hoping Jira would have a Bulk Edit feature for this, but even individually, I can't find a field to assign an existing Task to an existing Epic within JSD. 

The documentation linked above seems to have been deleted. Can someone advise?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events