Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA API Does not work for servicedesk projects?

Karrade November 5, 2017

I tried to create a new Issue into a service desk project using the following API on my test instance on my laptop: 

http://localhost:80/rest/api/2/issue/

Data:

{
"fields": {
"project":
{
"key": "TEST"
},
"summary": "REST ye merry gentlemen.",
"description": "Creating of an issue using project keys and issue type names using the REST API",
"issuetype": {
"name": "Task"
}
}
}

This would keep returning the error: 

{"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"project":"project is required"}}

I finally tried it on a different project which was a "business" project and it worked immediately.

Does this mean that the JIRA API is incompatible with ServiceDesk projects?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2017

Not quite.  It expects you to raise requests for Service Desk projects, rather than issues, and there's a different API for that.  However, it should still allow you to create issues, as long as the user you're tyring to create it as has create issue permission on the project (i.e. is an Agent)

Karrade November 5, 2017

Thank you! 

Bone headed mistake on my part. Since I was testing locally I was using an administrative user. This user is not an agent.

Its interesting that the user could create a ticket via the UI but not the API. However when I added the user to the servicedesk team it worked via API.

I'll rebuild an test again to see if the behavior in UI is different from API for a admin user creating an issue.

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events