Is there a way to personalize Canned Responses in Service Desk?

Karoleigh Miller October 2, 2018

I would like to utilize the JIRA SD canned response to create a more personalized message such as below:

Hi ${issue.reporter.name}

This request has now been completed. Please let us know if we may close this request.

Regards, ${issue.assignee.name}

Is this possible with Service Desk Canned responses?

3 answers

0 votes
NancyB455 May 22, 2019

I can't get these variables to work at all!  I create a canned response and select a variable.  It inserts, say, ${issue.key}...and that's what goes to the user!  ${issue.key}

I'm on a Server version, 7.13.1 - So the variables work for you guys?

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2019

Hi Nancy,

if you're using a issue type, which is mapped to the service desk frontend, the placeholders are replaced with the values from the issue as soon as you've selected the canned response. If they do not get replaced, check the mapping.

Create an issue by using the service desk customer UI & then answer this issue using a canned response with placeholders. Does this work?

Best

JP

NancyB455 May 22, 2019

Oh. My. Gosh.  I thought I was losing my mind.  I knew I had made them work once but I couldn't make them work again...because the first time, I just grabbed a random ticket that had come through the portal and used the comments section, but since then I had been creating a test ticket in the backend.  Thank you, thank you.

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2019

That’s what the community is for. :-)

0 votes
Richard Cross February 13, 2019

It's not currently possible. 

The reason is possibly that "assignee" is a field you cannot guarantee to be populated on a Service Desk issue, although in that case, I would be perfectly happy with it returning "null", which would prompt me to assign it to myself and try again.

0 votes
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2018
Karoleigh Miller October 2, 2018

I am using JIRA Service Desk version 3.7.  I do not see the "Insert variable" option, is that because of my version?

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2018

Yes, available with 3.9 & up

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2018

Jira Service Desk gets a lot of new feature with every release, so it might be a good idea to update once in a while.

Eric Atkins February 7, 2019

${issue.assignee.name}

Doesn't appear to be an option under Insert Variable

Is there a different way to do this?

If not, could this be added?

Like Rabbit Stoddard likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events