Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to export Versions from JIRA project into Service Desk?

Stacey Strand October 3, 2018

We are setting up our Service Desk for a project that we manage in JIRA that already has many defined Versions. Is there a way to export or reuse these from JIRA, in Service Desk, without having to go redefine and maintain 2 separate lists? It seems to be a duplication in effort and should stay consistent between the 2 products. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2018

Hello,

It is not possible to have the same version for two projects. You would still need to create versions with the same name in both projects and sync them, using Jira Rest Api or manually.

The JIRA project is the project that manages the work for the Service Desk, so they are not technically different projects. But guessing that JIRA and Service Desk can not share this information. Which is odd, because it is using a field, like Affected Versions or Fixed Version that is accessible between JIRA and Service Desk. 

I would recommend that as an enhancement for the interaction between JIRA and Service Desk. 

Thanks for the reply! 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2018

What do you mean by "the Jira project is the project that manages the work for the Service Desk"?. In Jira you can create three types of "classic" projects: Business, Jira Software and Jira Service Desk. Which project do you mean by Jira project? If it is a Service Desk project, then you can use versions in this project.

We have a JIRA Agile Software project and a Service Desk Project. Versions are defined in the JIRA software project. However, these are NOT accessible in the Service desk project. I have to recreate them, correct? 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2018

Yes, correct. Versions are entities of a project, not the whole Jira. Fixed Version and Affected Version fields select versions from the project, to which the issue belong.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2018

one more point of clarification here, JSD doesn't deal w/ "Versions" as it is defined in JSW. JSD does not have releases. You could create a custom field, e.g. "Fixed In" and use automation to copy the value(s) from JSW linked issue maybe. Is your goal to share the fix version w/ the customer?

Stacey Strand October 5, 2018

We want our customers to be able to identify what version of the delivered software they are seeing issues or problems with, when they submit a request to HelpDesk.  

I have just duplicated the versions and their definitions that exist in my current Jira Software project in my Service Desk project. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

0 votes
Jan-Niklas Staffa October 29, 2019

Please help asking Atlassian to further integrate Jira Service Desk and Jira by voting on this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-6140. FixVersions and Components of Jira should be reusable in Jira Service Desk.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events