Is the Database for JIRA Software and JIRA Service Desk the same?

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2017

Hi, 

I have JIRA Software (server) installed and its connect with a mysql database "jiradb".

Now I am adding JIRA Service Desk (JSD) on top of JIRA Software, so my question are:
* How is Service Desk handled in the database? 
* Would the tables for JSD be added in the same database "jiradb"? 
* Where is all the data for Service Desk (tickets, and stuff) stored in the database? Does it use the same table to store tickets as Jira Software's tables? 

I just need clarification on how data would be managed in the database for Service Desk with respect to the exisiting database? 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2017

JIRA Service Desk and JIRA Software are simply the JIRA application with a series of plugins installed.

The plugins use the plugin data store mostly, so they will create additional tables in the typical jira database.

Issues are issues are issues so field data is where it always is.

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2017

The plugins use the plugin data store mostly, so they will create additional tables in the typical jira database.

Are you talking about the plugins that are installed when Service Desk is installed? 

So all the data of SD will eventually be getting stored in the same database "jiradb" that Software has been using? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2017

To be pedantic, no.

The data of Service Desk, Software and all your add-ons are kept in the JIRA Core database.  Most Applications and add-ons create tables in there for themselves, as well as storing some data in the Core tables.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2017

@Tayyab Bashir can you tell us what you're trying to achieve or audit here?

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2017

Hi @Steven F Behnke

I added JIRA Service Desk on top of JIRA Server recently, and for that purpose I was looking into if the database of both applications would be the same or not. 
And as Nic said, they're both handled in JIRA core's database, so I guess the short answer would be Yes they're the same

What I am trying to achieve or audit.

I want to see if I could take Service Desk's XML data backup separately from JIRA Software's data. 
So in order to take SD's XML backups separately, I figured it would need a separate database? 

But I guess the projects and issues we create are kept in the same tables so it would be difficult to take their backup separately. 

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2017

I'll try to be specific for what its worth.

Service Desk uses "Issues" for it's "Requests". So actual issues, custom field values, attachments, comments, etc are all in the usual places.

Service Desk uses Active Objects (like any other plugin) for configuration settings. This means that "global settings" like the Email Configuration toggle and "project settings" like Request Types configs and Queues configs are all stored in other various tables within jiradb.

Backing up the database, attachments, indexes, plugins, and configurations will entirely back up both JIRA and JIRA Service Desk.

By the way, "Project Import" will not import plugin settings. Active Objects (the plugin datastore) can only be restored via a Full Restore.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2017

That's a very peculiar thing to want to do.  Sounds like a totally broken or insane requirement to me, as the Service Desk data is totally dependent on JIRA Core data.

Think of it this way - if you exported just SD data, you would get items like

• exceeded SLA
  • a list of request types
  • some portal definitions

But without the project, issue and user data that JIRA holds, it's utterly useless.  Same goes for Software - you'd get a load of useless board data that points at issues, projects and users you don't know anything about.

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2017

Thankyou both for your answers. 
Makes quite a lot of sense now and gives the clarification I needed. 

Thanks,
Tayyab

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events