Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to link Jira Service Desk to an older on-prem Confluence (v.7) server?

Jens Kristian Hoel January 27, 2020

We are looking at starting to use Jira Service Desk, however we are dependent on connecting it with an older Jira Software on-prem server. Anyone done anything like this before/know if it is possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2020

It is possible - broadly, Jira 6 through to 8 have compatible-enough REST APIs that you won't see many problems with them, especially if you're only doing the basics of linking issues together.

Question though, is there a reason why you've not installed Service Desk on the existing Jira Software?  No need to link, completely compatible and gets you more functions for SD projects to interact with your developers and development projects.  (Obviously, I can imagine "wanted latest SD, no appetite to upgrade Jira Software so we can install it", but I'm curious in case I'm missing some other reason)

Jens Kristian Hoel January 28, 2020

I am not sure what the possibilities are for installing (i guess) older versions of the Service Desk. If that option still exist, then that might be a better solution until we can upgrade our whole 'suite'. It would depend on the features it has, since it is competing with our current non-Atlassian service desk.

The reasoning is to try to get more out of our Confluence suite and to integrate close with it. As we are heavily dependent on Jira Software for issue handling. However, as you guessed - there currently is no appetite to upgrade everything.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2020

Go into the admin bit of your Jira Software, find "manage applications" and you'll be able to add Jira Service Desk there.  It should tell you which is the latest version available for your current version of Jira Core  (If not, then have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracore/jira-applications-compatibility-matrix-975041287.html and expand your version of Jira Core)

Makes sense to integrate it all together, and it'll work more neatly if you can add JSD to your existing Software as well.  As long as your Jira is on 6 or above, you'll be able to link to Confluence, whichever option you take (although I' recommend you be on Jira 7.0+ as you've said Confluence 7)

Jens Kristian Hoel January 30, 2020

Thank you very much Nic,

That was what I was looking and hoping for :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events