Is it possible to have multiple projects with only one email?

sergioruedavalid November 2, 2017

I'm configured multiple projects but I want to have only one email notification, if I mean, I know that per project we have a mail where our customers can write us and open a new case. But in this case I want to have only one email and depends of the body or subject of email Jira can classificate in the projects that I have already configured.

5 answers

0 votes
Adeel Shoukat May 11, 2023

This is a workaround that will satisfy your requirement, not a solution.

• Create a common project for custom single email address - all email request create the ticket in Common Project.
  • Once a project has been created, an automation should be created on the common project and the ticket clone to another project using either a domain base or a unique email address. Automation screenshot see below.

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 10.03.58 PM.png

• This way you'll create the ticket in project on domain base or Individual email address.
  • To send a notification to the reporter with the ticket number, create another automation in a other project (where the ticket was created by automation). In this automation, you must set the "Request Type" and automatically add "Comment" to the ticket.

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 10.11.22 PM.png

• In this way once reporter reply on notification email then automatically add comment on ticket.

Note:

• You should disable the Notification so no one get notification about common project. 
  • If your comment encrypted then you've to first email Security
    • Select the Product in setting > Compliance Setting  > Safe Customer Notification - Disabled
Ruairi O_Malley September 1, 2023

What option do you select for:

Edit issue fields - Report Field

On the new ticket it says "Automated by Jira" for the Reporter

0 votes
Esraa Mahmoud
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2022

Feature request for the same please vote & watch for visibility: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-11071 

0 votes
Mike Dinnella April 4, 2019

I've yet to test this, but I'm thinking of using a distribution group that's support@mycompany.com, and having it go to all the mailboxes for my JSD projects.  They will all be configured to only ingest messages from customers in the project via Project settings -> Customer permissions -> Who can raise requests? Customers who are added to the project.  Basically I expect this to give me one inbound email that works for all customers, despite each customer being a separate project.  The limitation will be that the outbound email will be different for each project and I'll still need separate mailboxes, but I'm OK with this assuming it works per my expectation.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2019

confused. are you saying you are going to use the same custom email on multiple projects. That will work if you want the same issue raised on all projects. I must be misunderstanding.

Mike Dinnella November 14, 2019

my thinking is that the requests would be filtered based on customers added to the project (assuming all projects are non-public, customers must be manually added) - so each project would have it's own mailbox, but all customers would be able to send to support@organization.com and it would go to customer1-support@organization.com, customer2-support@organization.com, etc, and tickets would only be opened in the project the customer has been added to...I think that works.

Mike Dinnella November 14, 2019

it would be nice if I could just do this with a single mailbox added to multiple projects though

Rob Peterson March 22, 2020

@Mike Dinnella -- did this work for you?  I was thinking the same thing: support@mycompany.com would the inbound global for all clients.  Are you creating the forwarding type rules on our AD side or are you using a plugin inside Jira to control?  Or by what you are saying, if the Customer already exists in the project and the Organization that the customer is assigned to is assigned to the Project, they will automatically get consumed into that project specifically, and not be 'hanging out' in all projects with that email address? 

I'm kind of surprised this isn't a standard function in Service Desk (i.e. "What is the domain for this Organization" - you could then easily assign the domain for the emails coming in from the organization to then associate directly).

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2017

@sergioruedavalid, AFAIK there is no way to do that at least not natively. There may be a plugin that would work but if you are on cloud that limits your options.

With that said, might I ask why you would want this. I'm wondering if rather having a single project using Components w/in the project to differentiate. Of course, again you are going to be limited with automatically assigning the Component.

I was wondering that because I have many costumers and  I want a way to classificate it, with that said is better to have a project indepently of others, but for my customers will be lost if they have to write a different email depending on the project.

i  have already applied the Components but i think that it could be better if there was a way to classificate the mail, as i said before.

My question to you is if you know a plug in that could help me?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 2, 2017

@sergioruedavalid, you can look at these. JMEH seems to be one of the more commonly used but I don't have experience w/ or promote.

Deleted user November 6, 2017

Hi All,

I work at The Plugin People (JEMH/JEMHC developer), JEMH is capable of routing incoming emails from a single address to create issues in different projects based on keywords in the email subject / body. This is provided via Project Mappings which you can define rules within to associate incoming emails with projects based on their content.

JEMH for JIRA Server and JEMHC for JIRA Cloud both offer this functionality, I suggest grabbing an evaluation licence and testing out the functionality to see if it works for your use case. If you think something additional is required, drop us a support request and we'll see what we can do!

The Plugin People - JIRA

Kind Regards,

Reece

Like Amir Katz (Outseer) likes this
0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 2, 2017

Hi Sergio,

The emails are set up by project and cannot be shared as currently there would be no way for JIRA to determine based on incoming email what project to send it to.

Perhaps you can collect in one project and move to the appropriate one.

Cheers,

how could i move a ticket to another project

?

Like atucker likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 2, 2017

via the Move function. Specifics depend on your version and UI but generally the following should help - click on eclipses and select Move.

move function.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events