Is it possible to create issues for Service Desk Customers?

Brendan Martens October 23, 2014

We would like to be able to create issues for our (existing, already signed up via the portal) Service Desk Customers. While we are transitioning to using Service Desk, we still get phone calls at times and would like to be able to create those issues for our customers.

I know that we can create issues in the JIRA Service Desk project, and that we can also even set the reporter to one of the Service Desk Customers, but there doesn't seem to be a way to make those issues appear in the "My Requests" list when that customer logs into their portal (even setting the reporter to be that customer does not do this).

Another use case here is migrating from our other existing issue tracking messages. For instance, we already have quite a few "issues" in Asana, but would like to be able to recreate those for our customers in Service Desk, and allow them to continue tracking progress on them via the portal.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joel Cumberland October 23, 2014
Brendan Martens October 24, 2014

Thanks Joel, I think that is the best solution for this issue (having it fixed).

2 votes
Lindsay Barton October 23, 2014

In order for an issue to show up in the customer portal, a field called "Customer Request Type" must be set. This is not a field that JIRA exposes natively, but here are two ways to set it with add-ons.

Option 1:

If you are not OnDemand, the Automation plugin can set the Customer Request Type for you when the issue is first created. To do this, first set up a Trigger, e.g.:

• Type: Issue Event Trigger
  • Issue Event: Issue Created
  • JQL expression: project = NSD AND “Customer Request Type” is EMPTY

And then set up the Action you want to take place:

• EDIT ISSUE ACTION
  • Edit fields: customfield_10451=nsd/get-it-help
  • Allow variable expansion: No
  • Send notification? No

(Find the custom field ID by going to your Custom Fields page, then click the cog next to Customer Request Type and hover over Configure.)

Option 2:

You can also do this with JIRA Suite Utilities; you’d set a post-function on Issue Create to Update Issue Custom Field, modifying Customer Request Type to be the appropriate value, e.g.:

• nsd/get-it-help

Thanks for these ideas, I may try them out while we wait for JSD-55 which Joel mentioned.

0 votes
Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2014

what you can try is create the issue through the customer portal then change the reporter to them.

That requires having the user's password, but I suppose we could create the account then pass it off when we have migrated things. This might work in some scenarios, thanks for the idea.

Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2014

well not using their account use yours then change it to them

David Mancilla December 29, 2014

This will not help, the issue does not show up in the customers portal, the only way it shows up is if the issue was created through the portal with the customers credentials

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events