Is it possible to associate projects with a JIRA Service Desk customer?

Gregorio Luiz Gomez September 30, 2014

We're using JIRA Service Desk to support out external clients, and would like to know if it's possible to offer each customer a drop down menu to choose which pertinent project the ticket is about. Is this possible?

As it stands I don't even see a way to set several customers to be grouped by company. Is this possible with custom fields?

Thanks in advance for the help!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

Hi,

Within a Service Desk, you can create different request types for your customer portal, so customers can choose the type of request they need. If you have more projects and not all customers have or need access to all these projects, you can create a service desk for each project and associate customers with the relevant service desks.

There is no notion of companies within Service Desk yet. So for instance you cannot have a customer from a company report an issue and then have another customer from that same company view that issue through Service Desk. There are feature requests for this to watch: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-269 and https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-270.

Regards,

Geert

Thanks for the response Geert, unfortunately it doesn't solve the issues we have in our use-case. Ideally we want just one customer portal for all our customers, as we also want just one email for all requests to be routed through. We also don't really have the need for several request types as our support team is only a couple of us, so we just handle all requests through a "General Web Support" request type. Those two feature requests you linked are interesting and definitely a step in the right direction for us, I've voted and followed them both. ;)

Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

So if you only want one customer portal with one request type, which is what you can have with Service Desk out of the box, I do not understand you original requirement to "offer each customer a drop down menu to choose which pertinent project the ticket is about". Also, please note that you can have multiple Service Desks, but still access these through one portal. So you can still have one portal for each customer, with different Service Desks.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, I'll try to exemplify: Client A has Project_1 and Project_2. Client B has Project_3 and Project_4. When Client A submits a ticket, we'd like a field that allows the customer to choose from existing JIRA projects associated to him or his organization (the org aspect is covered in those feature requests you linked above), so this client would only see Project_1 and Project_2 in the dropdown. Likewise when Client B logs in and accesses the same portal, we'd like him to only see Project_3 and Project_4 show up in the dropdown. The issue we have with creating service desks for each project is that we want only one email where clients can initiate or comment on tickets. My understanding is that JIRA does not support this, every service desk requires a unique email, which just sounds like hassle, we just want to use support@ourdomain.com. On another note, your comment about multiple Service Desks and one portal is interesting, how do I achieve this? When I create a new service desk - new or enable for existing project - it simply creates a new portal.. Thank you so much for the help! =)

Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

A Service Desk project is either associated with a new project or with an existing project. Issues raised through the Service Desk are going to end up in that same project, regardless of the customer who raised the issue. So suppose you associate your Service Desk with project_1, then even if Client B raises an issue, it is still going to end up in Project_1. On the other hand, if you create Service Desks for each project, you can associate Client A with the Service Desk for project_1 and 2, and Client B with the Service Desk for project 3 and 4. When they raise an issue, they first choose the project which they want to raise the issue for and then create an issue directly in that project. Every customer can access the service desks that are available through the Help Center, available at http://<your JIRA installation>/servicedesk/customer/portals. This page list all the available service desks portals.

Gregorio Luiz Gomez October 1, 2014

I don't have the rep yet to reply freely, so sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. =)

That's it! It's all clear now, the missing link was the overview Help Center page! I didn't even know of it's existence! Nowhere in the documentation can I find mention of this page! I even tried progressively removing parts of the url to see if there was a overview page but just kept getting 404's. I was missing that 's' at the end ;)

I've noticed that this page is not customisable at the moment, so I've made a feature request for it to have the same styling options as Customer Portals: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-892

Thanks so much for the help Geert, it's much appreciated!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events