Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is is normal to mark all JIRA Service Desk ticket closed by customer as Resolved by customer?

Sorin Sbarnea January 13, 2015

I am kinda impressed that ticket that we are marking as resolved on SAC do appear as "resolved by customer" which indicates that this was not a flaw in the product.

In most cases I do have support tickets that do end-up with new-bugs, or link to existing ones, but when I "Resolve" them they get marked wrongly.

My impression is that this practice would give generate really wrong reports on Atlassian statistics regarding quality of product, indicating that most customers do not know the product well, hiding the quality issues with the products.

I am wondering if one of the product managers from Atlassian is reading this and if they have a plan to address this problem. Until then, what we are supposed to do, freeze the tickets indefinitely?

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2015

Hi Sorin,

I'm our product manager for SAC (support.atlassian.com). I'll just add a bit to Pedro's response. 

We definitely collect data on product quality from SAC (among other channels). From SAC, we don't really use resolution types as our key drivers for reporting to product development. Instead, we use a combination of two data points, primarily:

1. Components which are set by support agents during the lifecycle of the ticket. These act essentially as our buckets to identify the greatest areas of support drivers in our products. They're things like "installation" or "LDAP configuration."
  2. Linking between SAC and JAC (jira.atlassian.com) bugs. Right now we're just piloting a feature to enable remote issue linking (the built-in feature) so the links are better established. We're using a rather old text analysis (a URL scraper) because we didn't want to expose SAC links on JAC bugs, as it confuses people who think their private support ticket may be exposed to the public. Either way, the point is that we count the number of support tickets created against a certain bug. We use this as a data point for prioritizing the bug-fix backlog.

As for Pedro's comment, it's accurate; it's true that resolutions (or any workflow actions) are not available from the customer view. 

Bottom line: don't worry about resolution types, we're not really using them. 

One important point - SAC is just one data point. We also use severity, customer impact & effort, and other factors. It's written up in our Bug Fix Policy

Do you think you would manage your support tickets better if you knew which ones were connected to bugs? Put another way - how could we do better around managing the connections between support tickets and bug reports?

0 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2015

Hi Sorin,

As it turns out, this is a known limitation of JIRA Service Desk that currently does not allow Customers to change the Resolution field so far. There is an improvement under https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-40 that will change the behaviour and allow changes in the field.

Having said that, we search for data between Support and the JIRA Issue Tracker (jira.atlassian.com) to find the information that you mentioned.

-- Pedro

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events