Integrating JIRA Service Desk with PagerDuty

Sebastien Arbogast June 29, 2015

I would like to create a PagerDuty incident every time a customer creates an issue of a certain type (Fault) on JIRA Service Desk. So I have created a JIRA user with the email address provided by PagerDuty, an incident was created when JIRA sent the invitation to PagerDuty, which seems to indicate that when JIRA sends an email, PagerDuty gets it. Then I added an automation rule (issue notifications did not work as I didn't find a way to send a notification only when an issue of a certain type is created), to notify my special user every time an issue is created with the Fault type.

But when I create an issue of this type, nothing seems to be sent to PagerDuty. I have tested sending an email directly to the email address of PagerDuty user and it worked. I have tested notifying another user when an issue is created in JIRA Service desk and it worked too. So I don't know what's wrong but I can't get the email to be sent to PagerDuty from JIRA Service Desk. Any idea of what I missed?

6 answers

2 votes
Sebastien Arbogast June 29, 2015

I did. But this documentation only talks about JIRA without Service Desk, and this Notification Scheme thing only works to send all issues to PagerDuty, regardless of their type. What I want to to send only one specific type of issues to PagerDuty, which is why I'm trying to use JIRA Service Desk's automation instead. And that's where I'm stuck.

1 vote
Mike Hodgkins January 22, 2019

I've not tried this yet but this should be possible using Jira Webhook execution https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/jira-service-desk-webhooks/

Max Allan (Surevine) April 3, 2019

Looks like you need version 4.1 which is only on early access and not for production.

Max Allan (Surevine) April 11, 2019

It is released!!
https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedesk/jira-service-desk-4-1-x-release-notes-963663641.html
With 4.1 you can customise your webhook to talk straight to PagerDuty

1 vote
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2015

Sebastien,

Did you review the documentation on Pager Duty site: https://www.pagerduty.com/docs/guides/jira-integration-guide/ ?

wink

jeffreybarrett January 25, 2017

That link is no longer valid. I am also running into this same problem.

0 votes
Gabriel Viger October 11, 2018

PagerDuty are deprecating their old Jira integration to replace it with a new Jira Cloud Extension.

Unfortunately, you can't trigger a PagerDuty ticket based on the priority of a new ticket in Jira (lol).

This is their answer:

Malcolm Konner (PagerDuty Support)

Oct 9, 13:36 PDT

Hi Gabriel,

This is Malcolm with PagerDuty support. I would be happy to advise further here!

The Legacy Jira Integration did have the ability to set JQL up in order to automatically create PagerDuty incidents anytime webhooks from Jira met the criteria set there. This is still a feature of our current Jira Server Extension however not yet a feature with our Jira Cloud extension.

We do know that this would be of value to our customers relying on Jira's Cloud products so will add your vote for this functionality to be developed on the Jira Cloud extension.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or feedback which I may add to this request.

Sincerely,
Malcolm

0 votes
Umar Ahmed October 9, 2018

Hi,

I am having the same issue, I would like to create a ticket in Pagerduty when its a P1 incident in Jira ServiceDesk.

your help will be much appreciated

Thanks

Umar

0 votes
Gabriel Viger October 11, 2017

I am currently integrating PagerDuty with a Service Desk Project and it worked following instructions in this page:

https://www.pagerduty.com/docs/guides/jira-integration-guide/

You can specify which issues triggers a PagerDuty event with a JQL like this:

project = "eCom Support" AND issuetype = Bug AND Severity = "Severity 1"

Hope this helps!

Gabriel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events