It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Incoming Mail Configuration

I am unable to configure incoming mail for JIra. Attached is the error i receive.

The process i use is Administration > System > Incoming Mail

The mail server is an exchange server. POP/IMAP have been installed, however still unable to configure Jira.

1 answer

0 votes

I'm afraid you have not shown us the error.  Could you copy and paste the plain text of it all if you're struggling to attach a screenshot?  We only really need the text.

Thank you for responding so swiftly.

Error

Unfortunately no connection was possible. Review the errors below

ConnectionException: * BYE Jakarta Mail Exception: java.net.SocketTImeoutException: Read timed out

This means your Jira service cannot get a network connection to your mail server.  Either the name is wrong (or unresolvable), or there is no route, or it is firewalled off, or it is not running.

I am sure of the name, as i can telnet to the POP/IMAP ports on that server.

No firewall rules have been configured as well to block this connection

Great, that rules out some stuff.  It does not tell us if there is no route between Jira and the mail server, whether that route is firewalled or the mail server is configured to ignore incoming connections from that route.

How do you mean "route" exactly? SMTP works fine, same server. My client uses an Exchange Server 2016. I know it doesn't come default with POP/IMAP as Microsoft uses MAPI. The POP/IMAP services have been enabled on the server. Is there anything I am missing?

The route question is "can your Jira server get to the mail server over your network?"  You can check this with a simple "ping <mail server address>" - if a ping comes back, it's fine.  If you don't get anything back, I'd try a "trace route" command (these vary between OSs - traceroute on some, trcroute, tracert and so-on).  These will track the connection route to where it is blocked.

If you do find the route is there, but non-responsive, then it's a firewall or the mail server configured to ignore you.

Yeah absolutely. I had already tried a ping, and even a telnet to to ports on the mail server. They are open. So I'm really struggling to understand why i can't have it resolved.

Did you try them from the Jira server?

If so, and they've worked, then the next question has to be why the mail server is not responding.  You'll need to debug that.

Yes I did try from the Jira Server, and yes they worked.

Could it be an issue with the JVM arguments as described in this post  https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/setting-properties-and-options-on-startup-938847831.html ?

No.  The error you are getting is being generated by a test of the connection, not the send or receive functions which can be turned off.  The connection test is not affected by those flags.

It really does mean "The mail server is not responding to me when I try to log in".  As you've ruled out the network problems, you are going to need to ask the mail server why it is not coming back to you.

One last test though - what does this do:

• telnet {webserver} port  993
  • . LOGIN {email-address} {password}
  • . LIST “” “*” to show the mailbox
  • Press CTRL + ] and then QUIT to Exit

I am expecting that to fail, but with a more useful error message than Jira gives us.

Hi

The test fails with the following error:

. LOGIN Bad Command Error 12

My best guess is that IMAP is not enabled on the server.  It might be installed, but not configured (correctly).  What version of Exchange is it?  (Or is it another type of mail server?)

It is an Exchange Server 2016.

Initially the PoP/IMAP services were not started on the server. I informed the admin to start the services.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Desk

The Complete Guide to Atlassian for ITSM

Hi Atlassian Community! This is Teresa from the Atlassian team. My colleague Paul Buffington @Buff and I are excited to share a brand new ITSM resource we’ve created – "The Complete Guide to At...

615 views 7 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you