Include mail history in ticket reply

Michel November 20, 2018

Hi,

when adding a public comment on a Jira ticket, the user gets an email that a comment has been added, with the comment itself. I would like to add the complete email history to that email, or at least the previous (customer) email, because often it's unclear to what the reply exactly is, especially if there are multiple participants. 

Can this be done by default, or is there a (cloud) plugin available.

Thanks

5 answers

2 votes
Daniel Westgate March 3, 2020

It is disappointing that something so standard and out the box with competitors is missing from JSD.

Lasse B_ September 2, 2020

I agree :-(

1 vote
Dwayne_Bartels September 10, 2019

Please import this feature.

History of messages in a mail is very powerful. Because users can, if they wish avoid the portal. Customers will have the whole context of the support ticket in the mail.

Learning a extra program and creating yet another account just to get some support going is very intensive and we want our service desk to be as simple as can be for people who are used to primarily send emails.

I agree with Devlin that this should be at the core of the application.

Lasse B_ September 2, 2020

How difficult can it be to allow us to insert a variable for the complete mail history (except latest/current public comment)? We've started using JSD with customers recently and customers already complain about that the mail history isn't included in replies. And now 3 years later..... feature focus boys and girls!!

0 votes
rogerio.domingos December 27, 2022

When adding a public comment on a Jira ticket, the user gets an email that a comment has been added, with the comment itself. I would like to add the complete email history to that email, or at least the previous (customer) email, because often it's unclear to what the reply exactly is, especially if there are multiple participants. 

Boris Berenberg - Modus Create December 27, 2022

I mentioned it below, but we support the last 10 comments in our app Notification Assistant for Jira 

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2021

I know that this is a couple years old, but I wanted to share that we have added this functionality to Notification Assistant for Jira on Atlassian Cloud where you can now include up to 10 comments in your notifications.

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2018

Hi Michel,

Currently, there is no configuration to make the notifications to show the complete thread.
We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of such ability:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-2044
Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the feature.

Regards,
Angélica

Devlin Ford April 10, 2019

Hi Angelica,

Thanks for the link to that feature request.  This is pretty basic stuff, how long do we have to wait for a fix & how many 'upvotes' does a feature request need to be taken seriously by the Jira developers.

In my experience, the:

"We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of such ability:" standard response from Jira support is really saying:

"Other people have already asked for this, and we've ignored them too.  Use Jira the way we've designed it, and stop asking us to add more stuff"

I don't envy your position, and the script you need to adhere to.  It is also slightly ironic that the team who is building the worlds Agile tools, isn't Agile.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2019

Hi Devlin,

Thank you for your feedback.
We really understand your thoughts about how we prioritize bugs and features because we do have features opened more than 10 years. All features are on jira.atlassian.com waiting for a chance to be implemented, there is nothing to hide.
For more details we about how are features implemented, you can check this FAQ:
- How does the JIRA team use jira.atlassian.com?

Q. Are votes what determine the priority of a feature?

Feedback from JIRA customers is an incredibly important part of our prioritization. Feedback comes from a variety of sources:

• Customer contact: We get the chance to meet customers and hear their successes and challenges at Atlassian Summit, Atlassian Roadtrip, developer conferences, user groups, partner events, and more.
  • Customer interviews: All product managers at Atlassian conduct frequent customer interviews. Our interviews are not just to capture a list of features, but to understand our customers' goals and plans.
  • Community forums: There are large volumes of posts here on Atlassian Answers, of votes and comments on jira.atlassian.com, and of conversations on community forums like JIRA groups on LinkedIn or Reddit.
  • Customer Support: Our support team provides clear insights into the issues that are challenging for customers, and which are generating the most calls to support
  • Atlassian Experts: Our Experts provide insights into real-world customer deployments, especially for customers at scale.
  • Evaluator Feedback: When someone new tries JIRA, we want to know what they liked and disliked.
  • In product feedback: We collect quantitative and qualitative feedback directly from customers within our products. This is especially valuable to hear from day-to-day end users who may not be the primary administrative or billing contacts for a customer.
  • Usage data: Are customers using the features we have developed? We have several teams analyzing in-product usage data and conducting experiments so we can continuously improve.

The amount of feedback is massive, especially when you have over tens of thousands of active customers for JIRA alone, and hundreds of people every day trying your product.

So votes are not the only data we consider when prioritizing a feature.

Regards,
Angélica

Devlin Ford April 15, 2019

Thanks for this Angelica,

While it is handy to know how you guys use your tools, it doesn't address the fact that you have some very basic core functionality that every Service Desk manager uses that you guys appear to be oblivious to, such has this very case.

This should be relatively easy to implement, and should already be an option because it is basic.

There should be a focus on implementing small 'quick-wins', to at the very least bring Cloud to the same feature set as Server, and/or ensuring that JSD has the same basic feature-set as your competition.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events