Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I move a JSD project to a different category, does it break anything?

DarkSideMilk July 27, 2018

By default creating a service desk project puts it in an auto created jira project category called 'service desk'

We recently re-did our project organization and it would make sense for us to put that project in a different category. 

I imagine moving it won't do anything, as categories don't seem to have any affect on how projects operate. But I want to make sure before I go moving the project and deleting the category as I'd rather not break my helpdesk system.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2018

Aha..."that" category is simply a customer label you can change that all day long w/o impact.

0 votes
DarkSideMilk July 27, 2018

I think I need to rephrase the question.

Each project in JIRA can have a type (Software, Service Desk, Business) and it can have a Customized Category for easier browsing of projects. I'm looking to change the category for finding and organizing projects, not the type that may effect schemes, workflows, issues, etc.

i.e. here below are my custom categories. Jira creates one called Service Desk (which is also the project type name, hence the confusion, I'm pretty sure changing that would break the portal). I'm wondering if simply changing that category for organization purposes would effect anything. 

cats.JPG

Joe Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2018

Ah, I misunderstood. And now that I understand the question, I don't have a good answer. Sorry about that. 

0 votes
Joe Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2018

Hello JJ,

I have moved projects across project portals within the same type - Service Desk to Service Desk. (Perhaps you have too) Jack (above) is correct. There is usually weirdness of some sort.

My thought is you could run a test. In other words just create a test project in JSD, create some issues in there, etc. then just move it over to a test Software project and see what happens. 

You will need to take a close look at the following:

• Issue Types
  • Workflows (note if that workflow is used by more than one project - editing or adjusting that workflow will affect all project using that workflow. 
  • Fields - in JSD fields can be adjusted on the Request type form but in other projects such as Software or Business I don't think there are request types - just screens and screen schemes. so if the fields you are using in JSD are not associated with the same field schemes in the new project - they may not show up. 
  • You may want to leave some of the JSD projects as they are - it may not be worth trying to move them - Just ask users to live with it. Then moving forward just make sure the correct project type is created when new projects are created. 
  • You will also need to look at the project summary - take note of Permission schemes, notification schemes, security, etc. Everything on that page could be affected if it moves to a new project. Again, if you change them in one place and they are linked to multiple projects, it changes things for all those projects that share these schemes. 
  • Take screen shots of all the project summary pages so you know what you are starting with. 
  • Good luck!
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2018

Hmmm, i have never moved a JSD project to say Software before. For sure they are different beasts and while it should work I would not be surprised if some weirdness develops. I would expect that modifying the workflows once or prior to moving would be wise.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events