I'm trying to set up SLAs for a project. Not sure where to begin?

Contract I will manage has three levels of requests.  High, Low, Maint.  I've set them up as Request Types by giving them different Request Names.  They all have Issue Type of Bug.  

A High level request requires a user response within 4 hours.  

I can't seem to find  the name of the field for Request Name so I could write JQL.

Am I approaching this correctly or is there a better way?

Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes

Those three levels would normally be represented by a priority or severity type field, not as request types.  A request is supposed to be something where a user asks for something.  You usually ask your IT people for "fix the printer", "reset my password", "I need a new laptop", not for "high", "medium" or "low".  Those are attributes you put on the request to give them a sense of speed.

I'd swap to using the more standard approach.

That's helpful.  I assumed defining the levels as Request Types was incorrect.

Where would I create the 2 priorities?

You could re-use the priority field, but that affects all your projects, with a shared list of priorities which probably won't work for everyone.

I would add a custom field for it with an indicative name like "Request priority".  You'll be able to filter on a custom field quite easily.  I'd strongly recommend a single-select list field for this!

It sounds like you just need a better grasp of the field names so you can write effective JQL. Use your "Custom Fields" admin screen as a reference point for field names to help write JQL queries. 

Request Type usually refers to the Service Desks customer portal feature. 

The Service Desk has built in SLA timers. Are you using Core or Desk? 

Below is an example SLA from one of the service desks we use. We are on the cloud. Untitled.png

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

381 views 1 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot