Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I get a "connect timed out" error when trying to connect my POP3 server for Email Requests

Victor DeVore June 28, 2018

Hello,

I'm currently using JIRA Service Desk Cloud and looking to setup tickets to be created through email.  

It's on a Microsoft exchange server and I was given the pop3 email address and port but when I tried to connect to it, I get the following error message:

Unfortunately JIRA couldn't connect to the mail server. Here is what the mail server said: "connect timed out" Check out our troubleshooting docs for help resolving the issue.

I verified my POP3 settings using an email client (not outlook) but I still get the error message.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2018

Hi Victor,

"Connect timed out" error generally occurs when Jira can't reach the mail server because of a network configuration blocking the connection to the mail server or the mail server is not running on that server/port/etc.

I would recommend first recommend running through the Receiving requests by email guid for Service desk mail configurations just to make sure nothing was overlooked, then I would say check your firewall logging in front of the exchange server as the next step to see if there are any Inbound rules blocking the incoming mail server acknowledgement message after Jira makes the initial connection to the mail server. 

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events