I don't want client request types to change

Daniela Razo September 19, 2017

Whenever I move an issue or update the issue type within my JIRA Service desk, the request type changes to "No Match". No matter what the issue type is, I want the request type to never change or at least not automatically. When I go into changing the request type, the drop down menu has support grey-ed out. How can I fix this?

1 answer

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

Daniela,

Since an issue type can have multiple request types associated with it the default functionality of the service desk is for the user to have to select the request type.  The reason that support is grayed out is it is associated with a different issue type.  Only the request types associated with the selected issue type will be available.  If you are using a single workflow you might look at using a single issue type for multiple request types.  This will allow you to make the change at the request type level and not the issue type level.  

Cheers
Brant

I don't know if that is how I want it to be. What the process would be is that external clients get the one request type to fill out. So one request type would be associated to many issue types. Is that something that is possible?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

You have is backwards.  Request types have a many to one relationship with issue type.  Issue type has a one to many with request type.  An issue type is has a one to one relationship with workflows.  When we setup service desks we associate many request types to a single issue type and they are associated with that issue type because of custom fields and the workflow that they need to follow.  Request types allow you to use a subset of the fields associated with an issue type.  

Maybe you can explain what you are trying to do that you would want a single request type associated with many issue types.

We would like to make it simple for our external clients to only submit one issue type (Support) because of the nature of our business. We have many different products that with very similar usages that is can be confusing for our external clients to know exactly what they are having issues with. We figure that we only give the one link for a support request and then as an issue our agents can then properly identify what the issue type is. 

Submit a single *request type

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2017

Daniela,

Assuming that all requests use the same workflow then you could have a single issue type and as many request types as you need to manage requests.  In the service desk you can have as many request types as you like and only display the ones you would like to the customer to keep it simple.  

In your case I would create a single request type Support and display that to the customer via the portal by adding it to a group.  All of the other request types that you want to use to track information internally just do not add to a group and they will not be displayed to the end user.  You can then determine the proper request type and change the request type very easily on the issue this way.  

You can learn more here:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/configuring-request-types-and-workflows-732528910.html

Daniela Razo September 25, 2017

Oh that makes a lot of sense. I didn't think of just hiding those request types from the client. That helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events