Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to trigger edits based on ticket age

Andy Creech September 27, 2019

Hey there Atlassian community,

Hoping someone smarter than me can help. We are trying to automate prioritization of tickets based on client urgency (from request types), client impact (defined by org name) and then age of ticket. The combination of these three elements create a weighted score that I will set in a custom field.

The age of ticket piece is proving to be tricky, as I cannot find a built in solution to update the ticket at certain age intervals. The built in Automation allows for setting the other two fields but leaves very limited options for updates based on ticket age of any sort.

Anyone aware of creative ways to use the Jira tool set to automate changes in the tickets as the ticket ages? I am looking at intervals like 1-3 days 4-9days and older. 

I am working hard to not increase the cost of our Jira footprint as we build out our solution. 

Thank you for your help in advance and happy Friday!

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Creech September 30, 2019

So I tried to create a rule for each status for Time in Status using the built in Automation, but ran out of rules. Apparently you are limited per project on the Cloud product to 30 rules. That seems like an artificial limit to encourage you to make purchases on the Market Place. 

0 votes
Deleted user September 27, 2019

Hi @Andy Creech 

I don't think you can do this by default with Jira's capabilities. However, there is a free add-on which allows you to periodically check JQL's (where you can specify the updated field like project = TEST and updated < -2d) and then run actions on issues that match this filter.

Here is a link to the add-on: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215670/automation-for-jira-cloud-lite?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

It has enough free stuff, but also adds more if you choose the paid version of the add-on. However I think for your use case, the free version may be the solution.

Hope that helps :)

Kind regards
Jorden

Thank you! Going to check it out now and report back.

Like Deleted user likes this

After a quick review it looks like this will not work. The cloud version only allows 300 triggers per month. Thank you for your help.

Deleted user September 27, 2019

Awh that's unfortunate to hear! I didn't know it was restricted on cloud. We use it on server so I didn't think about the possible difference in requests there :/

I hope someone else has a better idea.

Have a nice weekend!

Like Andy Creech likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events