How to stop service desk going to the help center on log in?

Sebastian Brookfield September 1, 2017

Hello, 

We've recently installed Service Desk to try it out, and so far, it seems OK.

We're currently running JIRA Software and JIRA Service Desk.

With JIRA Software, we let anyone view our issues and comment, and as such the "Browse Project" permission was initially on the group "Anyone".
Since we need our users to be able to log into JIRA for Service Desk, I've changed the "Browse Project" permission to be for a group that all users are part of.

The issue I have is that when a user logs in, they are automatically navigated to the help center, unless they have access to the JIRA Software application. This is sub optimal as we'd like users to be able view and comment on issues, but despite the fact that the permission helper says they have access to view issues, they cannot.
This is simply due to the fact that if the user navigates to any other URL in JIRA, they're sent right back to the help center.

Is there a way this can be changed?

If the user doesn't log in, they can view the issues, but as soon as they log in they're forced into service desk.

It is not feasable for us to add these additional users into JIRA Software due to licencing restraints.

Is there any work around, or will I simply have to tell users to log back out if they want to view and comment on issues?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2017

Hi Sebastian,

Indeed, for a user to be able to access JIRA they will either need to be able to access it anonymously or while logged in as a JIRA Software user. JIRA Service Desk customers can only access the issues via the Customer Portal and this is why they are redirected to that.

If you do not want them to access it anonymously then you will need to provide them with a license seat to JIRA.

Let us know if you have any further questions about this.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Sebastian Brookfield September 5, 2017

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for that.
I had a fear this would be the case, but I can also understand.

Thanks,

Seb

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2017

No problem, Seb!

Thank you for your confirmation.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events