How to restore canned response functionality for our Service Agents?

Michael Barnes February 23, 2018

Canned responses stopped being available Monday for our Service desk agents except for the two (myself and one other) that also have Jira-Administrator rights.  To be honest, no permissions have been changed.  We are on Jira server 7.7.0 with SD 3.10.0.  

The icon for the canned responses is not on the toolbar when you enter a comment.

Any thoughts?  We've checked permissions, dark areas and googled the devil out of this but cannot seem to find anything that will turn it off for some people.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2018

Update: The source of this problem appears to have been fixed in the 5.3.9 version of Scriptrunner. 

https://productsupport.adaptavist.com/browse/SRJIRA-2727

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2018

That sounds really weird.  This is a feature that should be available within Jira Service Desk projects and to Jira Service Desk Agents.  I don't believe this requires an admin level credentials to use this features.

I could understand if no one could use this, then there might be something wrong with a plugin that loads up when Jira starts.  But what you are describing is some users that can use this and others that cannot. Which I don't have a good explanation for that behavior.

Could you ask these other JSD Agent users to try and see if using a different browser has any different effect here?

Perhaps you could try to bypass any proxy that might be in front of Jira, just as a test to see if some users might have this feature inhibited by a network configuration.  Steps on how to do this are in How to bypass a Proxy and SSL to test network connectivity.

If neither of these help, the next step I would try would be to have one of these users try to recreate this problem and generate a HAR file of the webrequests when this happens.  Generating HAR files and analyzing web requests has details on how to do this.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 2, 2018

Update:  We have had a small number of reports that the scriptrunner plugin being installed on some Jira instances could have the potential to prevent this canned responses feature from appearing.   While disabling scriptrunner does appear to bring this feature back, it is not clear yet exactly why that is.

I was able to find a new ticket created today on the scriptrunner bug tracker in https://productsupport.adaptavist.com/browse/SRJIRA-2727

I would recommend following that ticket for additional updates to this problem.

0 votes
Sarah Maitland September 17, 2018

The canned response functionality has completely disappeared from my Service Desk within the past week or so. I looked into everything listed on this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/canned-response-button-missing-from-the-comment-section-952626130.html , but everything on that list that needs to be enabled is already enabled. I've disabled ScriptRunner twice, logged in and out a few times, and the icon is still gone on all comment toolbars.

I'm on an Administrator level, on JSD v.3.12.1, and using ScriptRunner 5.4.12.

Shutting down our instance to test proxies and generate HAR files may not be an option. Is there anything else left to try?

Hailin Zhang October 7, 2018

Been advised by Atlassian, you can check your database :

SELECT * FROM pluginstate WHERE pluginkey LIKE '%com.atlassian%'

Delete records with pluginkey "com.atlassian.servicedesk" and "com.atlassian.servicedesk:service-desk-comment-field" no matter pluginenabled is true or false, restart your jira.

It works for me. My issue is I cannot use JEditor for comment if I want to use Canned response...

0 votes
Michael Barnes March 2, 2018

We too have ScriptRunner.  Sadly we use it for some managerial reports so disabling might not be an option just yet.

Thank you for the help.

Mike

0 votes
volkan ciftci
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2018

Hi;

We have lost  "Canned response" icon from Wiki toolbar  for all users. I've just updated  other plugins then icon is gone. 

i have also checked permissions, dark areas( is listed) , restarted jira and googled but  cannot  get it back. 

in manage and-on i can see as enable but can not reinstall2.png

any ideas? 

(using JSD 3.10.0 , Jira 7.7.0 , server)

volkan ciftci
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2018

noticed that

logout and login again, it is  appeared

1.png

then select a transition (it is disappeared)

2.png

and disappeared everywhere

3.png

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 1, 2018

Hi @volkan ciftci

I did some more research in this problem.  I found a few other support cases on our support portal that indicates this might be a problem caused by another add-on in Jira.  Specifically I have found at least 2 reported instances where disabling the addon, Scriptrunner, can then allow this button to re-appear.

I'm not sure if you're using this, but it is possible that scriptrunner might be injecting some kind of javascript on the page that is causing this button to not appear.   If you have scriptrunner, you might try to just temporarily disable this and see if this allows this feature to start working.

Please let us know the results.

Regards,

Andy

volkan ciftci
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2018

Hi @Andy Heinzer ;

We are using script runner and i disabled it and canned respone is working.

I'll try to give feedback to scriptrunner support team about that.

thank you so much for your feedback and effort

Br, 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events