Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent estimated time on a sub-task rolling up to the estimated time on the story

Ian Burleigh May 20, 2014

We want to set up a story as a time bank and allocate sub-tasks to the story so that time logged against the sub-tasks uses up the time bank until there is no time left. At the moment when a sub-task is added then its estimated time is added to the estimated time of the story so we have to manually adjust the remaining time.

1 answer

0 votes
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

if i understand, i think your solution is an easy one. note in the screenshot below the checkbox for "Include sub-tasks." if this is unchecked, the total will not sum the hours of the sub-tasks.

Ian Burleigh May 26, 2014

Thank you for your comments Tanner. Sadly the solution is not that simple. We want the time taken for the sub tasks to be logged against the story, so the "Include sub-tasks" check box needs to be ticked. We don't want the Estimated time on the story to be changed whenever a sub-task has time logged against it.

To put it another way, when we set up the story, we want to fix the estimated time at say 100 hours. Then we carry out a sub-task that takes 20 hours, so we want the logged time on the story to show 20 hours, the Estimated time to still show 100 hours and the remaining time to show 80 hours.

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2014

ahh ... i see. then here's a possible solution:

1. story gets created.
  2. all necessary sub-tasks get created under the story.
  3. story gets advanced to next workflow status.
  4. upon transition, custom code executes that copies original estimate to a custom field called "locked estimate".

of course, you'll have to write that custom code. you can do so with script runner. great plugin, and i use it often.

Ian Burleigh May 27, 2014

Thanks Tanner - I can cope with customisation, but code is a whole different ball game! I'll have a go at installing script runner and see how I get on with that.

Ian Burleigh June 5, 2014

I have been unable to install script runner. Does anyone have non-code suggestions?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events