Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pause due date

Fuad Hasanli November 24, 2019

Hi,

In some software projects team leads sets due date in tasks depend on weight of task. Sometimes our employees should work on different tasks, is there any way to pause due date which was set before of task progress? 

Thanks in advance. 

1 answer

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2019

Hey Fuad,

I think you could start a bigger discussion here of the definition of a "due date" and how your teams work with the field. If something is set in stone pausing wouldn't do any good or make any sense, right?

But if your due dates are more "soft" and simply should help to organize people's work, you will have to adjust the date to reflect changing priorities. There is no "pausing" in Jira.

So if priorities of tasks change I guess someone has a good holistic view and will be able to adjust different due dates and communicate changes to everyone involved. Just so nobody ends up with 145 Tasks due in like a few days. :) I'm just thinking about this instead of changing the due date, maybe even another assignee could take over. So there are many ways to tackle this and I think none of them involves "pausing" a due date because, in the end, you will still have to change the due date. 

Best, Max

Hi Max,

Yeap You're right, but sometimes things doesn't goes as planned. That's why we need some way if it's possible. And it's will be good option for some companies. Reality is note all companies are good in process and workload. Tasks changes as the changes dues dates of the projects, it happens. I think Attlassian or 3rd party companies need to take into account this too. 

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2019

Hey Fuad, but it seems hard to achieve. A simple way to "pause" it would be to empty the due date. And this is perfectly possible in the tool. Everything else seems to be too random. But that wouldn't solve it for you, right? You have a due date or you don't or you have to change it to a later date if necessary. You could always think of a solution to automate this adjustment but again that doesn't look like a viable approach for the underlying use case here. Not without additional information. I'm not sure what the sense of "pausing" a due date could be. Especially if you end up with a date you missed and have to set to a later date anyway. Do you mind explaining it to me? Like "the bigger picture".

Like # people like this

Max,

Big picture is: One of the units in company works on different projects, tasks, and again priority of task changes (we can't change it, reasons is economical situation in country, and our clients, Azerbaijani business market not perfect). Every morning could be different changes. We assign person to task, he/she has due date, then priority changes and that person should work on another task, And unit head gets report to understand who done task in time. In my opinion pausing is the one of the ways to fix it. It's like opposite of In progress transaction. 

AMAÇ SUNER November 27, 2019

Hi Fuad,

I am a little bit confused actually. By due date, I understand a fixed date , like 3.3.2019. Let's say that I start working on it on the 1.3.2019. So, I have 2 days to finish the task. But later another is assigned to me and I have to work on it because that new task's priority is higher. But, due date of the former issue does not change. Right? So, how can I pause the time? 

Or, do you mean duration by due date? For example, a task has a due date as 2 days after it is assigned to me instead of a fixed date as above. I start working on it and let's say I spend 1 day. After that, I stop working on that and start working on another issue. In that case, there are solutions to pause counter. You can use some SLA plug in. For example, the plug in we use , named Time to SLA , enables us to pause time counter if a task is moved to some status (eg. status hold maybe). Moreover, it offers reports and gadgets so that unit head can follow SLAs and create reports.

I am not sure if I get you right. But I just wanted to give hand. If you want , please check that link below.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211843/time-to-sla?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

That's the app we user in our company. 

Like Fuad Hasanli likes this
Fuad Hasanli December 1, 2019

Hi Amaç, 

I mean what you described in first paragraph. Ill look at this plugin. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events