How to handle emails from non-customers on restricted Service Desk Edited

Dear Service Desk guru's,

We have started with the implementation of JIRA Service Desk for our organisations ICT department.

This means that only employees should be able to create issues and access the portal and email us their requests. So we created user accounts for all our employees and linked our mailbox to Service Desk.

But now we have a small issue.

What to do with emails that are originating from non-customers? Or from a personal employees email address when they can't access their account for example.

Currently the system sets the email to read and does not process it further.

Example:

User has a company email address user@comp.com. The user also has a private email user@private.com.

When the user mails our Service Desk with their company address the system automatically creates an issue and set the email as read.

When the user mails our Service Desk with their private address the system does not create an issue and sets the email as read.

There is no warning, message or any visual reference on which email the system picked up or not.

What are our options to handle these emails? If we go live with this, certain emails send to our Service Desk will be lost...

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey Community Champion Oct 11, 2017

@Barry Goed, what issue are you experiencing w/ emails from accounts that are not users (customers or agents)? As long as you have JSD setup to only allow users access that have been added by agent/admin then you do not need to worry w/ ‘non-user’ emails. 

Dear @Jack Brickey. My apologies for the late reply.

The problem we will get is that when non-user emails come in the mailbox they are also placed as "read" just like normal emails but it won't be added as an issue.

I will edit my question with an example.

+1

We have similar problem. How can we ensure that no one gets left behind, without making the portal public? There should be at least a notification in place when a non-customer email tried to reach the help desk.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Dec 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

Looking for teams who switched from email to Jira Service Desk

The Jira Service Desk marketing team is working on a guide to help new Atlassian customers switch from email to JSD and we'd love to hear from you! Please share: - What made you realize that i...

351 views 1 7
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you