How to filter email requests into the right service desk queues?

Susi Moser August 7, 2017

Hello! :-)

We currently use the OTRS Ticketing System and support multiple products from a single helpdesk. We use multiple support email addresses (like support@product1.com, support@product2.com, support@product3.com) to separate support emails for each product and automatically queue them in a specific group.

If I understand correctly, you can only add one service desk email address to a JIRA service desk project (like support@company-name.com).

We would appreciate if someone could explain us in more detail how we ensure that the requests (send via email) are automatically filtered into the right service desk queues?

We use JIRA as Self-Hosting (Server).

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2017

You can have one per project. The way JSD is structured is you have a Help Center and then Projects under that Help Center. You assign customer to Projects so they only see the projects associated to them.

With cloud you are provided a default support email, e.g. support@ur-company.atlassian.net but you can add a single custom email to each and every project.

Your portal URLs would look something like this for example.

https://ur-company.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/#

where "#" is an sequential representation of each project as you add them. So 1 = project 1, 2 = project 2, etc.

I think, from looking at your question, I would setup each product as a project. You can control which customers get access to which products/project thru defining the customers per project. You can also create "Organizations" and put your customers into the organization allowing them to share requests.

hope this helped.

Rob Harryman December 14, 2017

With the setup proposed you won't be able to see requests from all projects at the same time, is this correct? Or is there a way to view issues across multiple projects?

Maria Javier January 26, 2021

I have a similar issue. I have Project1 and Project2. Both are currently set up with a separate email address so when someone emails project1@domain.com it goes to the Project1 project queue and when someone emails project2@domain.com it goes to the Project2 project queue. The problem is that outbound notifications only work for project1 but not for project2.

I don't see where to input a 2nd email for outbound (SMTP) notifications. It only allows for one email address. Is there another section to enter in a SMTP for Project2 outbound email notifications?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events