How to define "customer" in multiple self-signup service desks?

We have multiple self-signup service desks (JSD A, JSD B and JSD C).

When a customer signs up on JSD A, he will be in the project role customer i JSD A.

But through the portal he has access to JSD B, JSD C and can raise requests in both these servicedesks. I've seen some discussion on this here - but that solution is perfect for us. If he needs support in another functional area there is no reason that he should sign up multiple times.

He is, however, only listed in the customer role in JSD A. So if i use scriptrunner e.g and ask if he is in the customer role I will get a yes in JSD A but not in JSD B and JSD C.

If I direct him to the main help center and he signs up there - he will have no project roles.

My question is are there any other (not counting scriptrunner) drawbacks to my customer not having a project role in the JSD - projects?

When I can't rely on the customer being in the customer role in all service-desks he has access to are there eny known advantages on guiding him to any specific portal to signup?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

In my view, I don't think there are any drawbacks to the fact that not all JSD customers appear in the customer project role in this case.

You could change the project settings to only allow customers that have been added to this project to raise requests (Project administration -> Customer permissions).  In that case, then you would need to add each user that needs to create issues here to this specific project in the customer role.  

However if you're not utilizing any Service Desk projects that implement this level of permissions, then there is no real functional limitations to customers using any service desk project in your instance.   As the documentation on JIRA Service Desk: Agents, Customers, and Roles  states:

Customers are essentially any user who is not an agent.

With that in mind, it is not critical to have the account appear in the project role called customers just to grant them access to a service desk project that is already granting access to any user that has an account.   It really is more important for instances that restrict access to the service desk to a specific set of users.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 14, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

How the Telegram Integration for Jira helps Sergey's team take their support efficiency to the bank

...+ reading Fantasy). The same is true for him at the bank he works for: Efficiency is key when time literally equals money. Read on to learn how Sergey makes most of the time he has by...

798 views 5 7
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you