How to create a JIRA issue from a Service Desk Ticket and have all fields and data transfer to the JIRA Issue?

Mark Aubin January 7, 2014

Sample workflow:

1. Customer logs a service desk ticket.
  2. Support analyst determines the ticket is a product bug.
  3. Support analyst transfers to Production Development (and the creation of a Bug Issue type).
  4. While the bug is being worked, Support Analyst (and possibly customer) can see status of JIRA Bug Issue from Service Desk Ticket.
  5. Bug Issue is resolved, and Service Desk Ticket can then proceed to be closed with customer.

Step 3 is where I'm looking for help. Move doesn't work, b/c it moves it out of the Service Desk. Linking is helpful, but then you have to go create the Bug and enter everything manually. I looked at seeing if a workflow transaction (through post functions) could create an issue, but didn't see that option.

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2017

Out of the box today in Cloud you can create a linked issue from the JSD issue. The degree of success in duplicating field statuses is dependent on a partially on the current SW and the alignment of the configuration between the JSD and JSW product in question. All of the default fields will be duplicated but if there are differences in workflows then some manual effort is required. You can add automation that will resolve the JSD ticket when the JSW ticket is resolved.

What you cannot do (AFAIK) is to have the comments in the JSW ticket automatically added to the JSD ticket directing them to either internal or public.

I use this method in my world and the only thing that is missing for me is to have the JSW comment entered when resolving JSD ticket placed automatically into the JSD ticket as Internal. This would allow the JSD agent to provide more meaningful response on the resolution more easily. However, they can do so simply by reviewing the comment in the JSW ticket and then rewording for customer consumption. This last piece is key since you generally do not want to communicate publically all that is said internally. Today, using the aforementioned automation, i place a canned response into the JSW ticket based upon the Resolution reason (Done, Won't Do, Can't Duplicate, etc.) chosen in JSW.

Richard Pugh July 18, 2017

Hi Jack - I am new to JIRA and have read all the documentation. We have server/licenses for software, service deska and core.

what I would like to do is have service desk utilize and internal customer facing to create tickets replacing our internal ticket system. 

I would like to link the SD tickets to SW so we PM's can manage the tickets via boards/SCRUM/Agile for reporting and tracking.

we do not plan to send communication back to SD from SW.

all communication to customers will come from SD via the SD agents.

Is there an automated way to LINK tickets that come into SD to SW so we do not have to LINK each ticket individaully?

Thanks.

Adrien Morel April 15, 2019

Hi Jack,

"Out of the cloud" means that nothing must be added or configured in order for that functionnality to work, right?

I cannot seem to find how you do that. A customer raised a ticket in project A on JSD.

I want to make an issue on project B on JSW that clones basic fields of the ticket open on project A: how? I can't seem to find this button/link/function...

Thank you for help :)

Like Trevor Reid likes this
RCAP September 3, 2019

Update: I found the Create Linked Issue after reverting to the old issue view in JSD. I hope that means it exists somewhere in the new view

Hello. I am just joining this party. I would be happy to be able to create a linked issue as Jack describes, but I cannot find any menu choice for that operation. The best I can do is manually create an issue and link it post facto.

Am I missing something?

Like Trevor Reid likes this
Lindsay Siurna September 10, 2019

Hi, 

Did you do this with a Post Function?  I reverted to the old issue view but I am still unable to find the create linked issue option.

Thanks,
Lindsay

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2019

in the old issue view the Create linked issue is under the ellipses

cli.jpg

Lindsay Siurna September 11, 2019

Thank you.  I was looking for a Create linked issue option under the post function section.  I'm trying to figure out how to automate the creation of sub tasks without a plugin.  Is this possible?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2019

that does not exist as a PF. It is not possible w/o an addon. FWIW, I use Automation for Jira for this purpose.

Lindsay Siurna September 11, 2019

Thank you.

2 votes
Filipe March 11, 2014

Hi Mark,

There are several plugin that can provide a "Clone" or "Create and Link" and help with step 3.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.customware.jira.plugins.createandlink

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/clone.issue.with.selected.subtasks

In step 4 the Support Analyst will be able to see it.

For 5 , if you want some type of automatism you can use:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/pt.lt.lfcribeiro.jira.jqlLTFunctions

Has these three Post functions for workflows:

Perform Transitions In Linked Issues

Perform Transitions In Linked Issues Whith Issue Type

Perform Sub Task Transition Y

That may help you on that (you will need to set as parameter the transitionId that you want to be preformed in "original service desk Jira")

Regards,

Colin McHugh February 22, 2017

Are there any options when we use the Cloud Version of JIRA Service Desk?  We can fully integrate between Salesforce and JIRA but we cannot integrate between JIRA Service Desk and JIRA.  

Like # people like this
Andreas Hagglund May 10, 2017

I have the same question as Colin, and would also like to ask if there is a way to this in service desk without buying plugins?

I was under the impression that the whole point of using atlassian jira and service desk together was to have that integration. Do I really need to pay for service desk, pay for jira and then pay again for getting them to work together?

Like # people like this
Franck Grimonpont July 14, 2017

I'm in the same situation than Colin et Andreas.

Now, manually in service desk, I create a new linked issue in a jira project. Then this new issue have his life in Jira. And when the issue is closed I return back in service desk to close the ticket.

It's painful, but I have not found anything better yet

Like Johannes Klaiber likes this
Evan B August 21, 2017

Same here. 

We're small. We currently use ZenDesk for ongoing customer support.

We recently started using Jira for project management/Scrum.

Need a way to get the ongoing customer requests better integrated with our larger project work, and maintaning both systems is too much overhead, especially the necessity to create duplicate issues for everything client's subit, in order to see that work in sprints, and schedule it with the correct prioritization amongst a lot of other competing tasks.

Was hoping that by moving the Support side from ZD to JSD, we'd be able to leverage our existing JiraSW workflow with sprints and boards, and be able to keep clients in the loop right from the same issues the Devs are working on. But now I'm seeing we'd still need to create duplicate issues in JSW for the things clients are reporting via JSD. I appreciate Luis and Jack's advice on automation above and below, but was really hoping to be able to avoid all this. Might not be the magic bullet we were hoping for. Will keep looking at these and other products.

1 vote
nick.rozhdestvensky October 17, 2017

I have the same problem. How can I create a linked issue from ServiceDesk to JIRA? Now I can't choose JIRA's project while creating linked issue.

0 votes
Tracy N July 13, 2017

I have a similar query as we are just looking at getting both Service Desk and JIRA - If a Service Desk ticket is changed to Dev (JIRA) for general development- can it be closed, and then JIRA deals with it (I guess like a clone) then it wont show as an outstanding Service Desk item or effect SLAs 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2017

Tracy,

the one thing to consider here is that it is generally industry practice to not close a customer request until development is complete. It is easy enough, and what i have done, to create a DEV status that the JSD issue is transitioned into when the JSW task is opened. You can then edit the SLA to pause when in the status.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events